VS Pump Settings

Aug 14, 2018
Aubrey
Hi there,

Our pool is less than a month old. We have a Jandy variable speed pump and I just can’t seem to find out what rpm we should set it to and how long it should be running. Right now it’s running at 1975 rpm for 12 hours a day, which was set for us by our pool company. I don’t want to compromise our pool but I would also like to save on energy, that was the whole idea of getting the vs pump.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Pump speed is dictated by what you need to efficiently skim the surface. I believe your Polaris is a pressure side, correct? So that is not an issue I believe. So lower your RPM and see how it works. If you need higher rpm for the Polaris, just set a schedule for that for only the time the Polaris runs.

The run time is anything more than about 2 hours. That is all you need to run each day after you add your liquid chlorine/bleach to distribute the chemical. Any more than that is for skimming, filtering, or the Polaris.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Thank you for the advice!

We do not have a SWG, we have a chlorine feeder.

- - - Updated - - -

One more question, all the articles and forums I have read say that the pump needs to run generally a minimum of 8-12 hours a day. I’m so confused, I wish I could get clarity on what my pump should be set on and how long I should have it running. ��

We have similar size pools, and I run my pump at these times and speed. (The first one is my cleaning time)
6-10am 2700rpm
11-2pm 1500rpm
6-9pm 1500rpm

Keep in mind that I’m in the desert where it’s hot and sunny, so in the non summer months I’ll take off the 11-2 cycle.

Thank you for the advice!

We do not have a SWG, we have a chlorine feeder.

- - - Updated - - -

One more question, all the articles and forums I have read say that the pump needs to run generally a minimum of 8-12 hours a day. I’m so confused, I wish I could get clarity on what my pump should be set on and how long I should have it running. ��

First - the use of solid chlorine products (trichlor) is not advisable for daily maintenance. Switch to liquid chlorine.

Second - you did not read on this forum that you need to run your pump that much. Read Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.