Chlorine Lock?

captjohn

LifeTime Supporter
My pool is indoors and was cloudy/white 2 days ago. It's been beautiful for the last 3 months. I shocked w/recommended 12 to 16ppm FC w/6% for a cya of 35, ph 7.2. Water turned green and very cloudy. I kept chlorine level at 16ppm all day and night. Usually pool would clear up by now. Yesterday I upped the FC to the 24ppm for mustard algae per The Pool Calculator but overshot and at 30ppm and kept it there. Ph at 7.0 and aireating w/jets to bring that up. The water never turned white as I expected for dead algae. Expected to see clear water this morning but still green tint and fairly clear. Backwashed but very little came out. I added Super blue yesterday w/no results.
Test results from 10-31 w/TF-100 kit
15,000 gal
1 1/2 hp Pentair pump
Pentair Triton TR100 Sand Filter
Heat Siphon Heat Pump
fc-6.0
cc-0
tc-6.0
ph-7.4
ta-200 (high I know)
ch-300
cya- 35
water temp- 90
Any ideas? I'm suprised to see the green tint with such high fc. I've heard of chlorine lock but never experienced it. Pool owner for 30 yrs.
Thanks

With an indoor pool, unless you have a lot of glass around it, I doubt you have algae. Any chance you have copper in the water?

I've heard of chlorine lock but never experienced it.
How do you normally chlorinate the pool? (SWG... liquid chlorine... something else?) What other chemicals do you add to the water? and how often?

As John said, this doesn't sound like algae. Nor does it seem like chlorine lock (that would require much higher level of CYA... 35 ppm may be a bit high for an indoor pool, but the level of chlorine you report (6.0) is just fine.

Don't know what effect Super Blue clarifier would have -- its MSDS is not forthcoming:
http://www.poolspacare.com/app/msds/Rob ... erBlue.pdf

Just trying to rule some things out. Might be helpful to be running the filter/pump for 24/7 a few days in a row and continue to backwash as needed.

Is super blue a clarifier or algaecide?

Chlorine Lock is pool store jargon/myth and entirely misunderstood. If your FC held overnight at shock level this isn't a typical algae issue.

Yes, how do you normally chlorinate?

When you say you shocked with bleach, it immediately turned green and cloudy? Are you sure you didn't use a scented variety or something?

The Super Blue is a clarifier but I haven't needed it for a while. I think you're right about the metal. I'm on well water and haven't had to shock in a long time. Just picked up a sequesterant to add. It says its a blend of chelating agents. Hope it helps, I go out of town tomorrow for a week and was hoping my son would have an easy time keeping up the pool.

Hi Captjohn,
Did you get your test results back for metals?

Along with others I doubt its algae, as you state you use well water I thinks you would be well (Pun) advised to have that tested properly so you know what you are dealing with.

The green colour could come from manganese which is commonly found with iron (used to make green bottles so may give you a clue) in some well water.

It could also come from copper, copper can deposit different colours depending on what compound of copper it is. Green would be produced if you were using hydrochloric acid (Muratic acid) as a PH reducer. If you add concentrated hydrochloric acid to a solution containing hexaaquacopper(II) ions, the six water molecules are replaced by four chloride ions.

You may find the colour of the tetrachlorocuprate(II) ion described as olive-green or yellow. If you add water to the green solution, it returns to the blue colour.
So it is a reversible reaction.

I haven't gotten the metal test done yet. I may have to do it today but I'm out of time. I leave today for a week. I added a double dose of regal metal out yesterday and been running filter 24/7 but it's not taking it out. I use muratic acid for ph and alkalinity control and citric acid for staining. I'll have to maintain Chem balance until I return. If no change by then a partial water change may have to be done.
Chlorine level down to 8 and ph is 7.2 this morning. I will do a full test to see if anything else has changed.
Thanks for your help guys. I'll keep you posted.

captjohn said:
I'm home and no change, fairly clear and green tint. Sequesterant hasn't worked so I need to make a move. Nothing coming out of backwash. Added additional clarifyer yesterday (figured it couldn't hurt). I can't find anyone to test for metal.
As teapot suggested, I may try a partial water change unless you guys have a better idea.
Where are you located (city/state/country?) If you are in U.S. near a Leslie's store, I'd suggest calling and speaking with the manager. At my local Leslie's you have to beg a bit-- but they will perform tests for copper, iron and manganese. (On request only.)

Have you had a chance to perform an overnight chlorine loss test?
See Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm on the MS gulf coast and I haven't heard of a Lesley's in my area. I haven't done the actual chlorine loss test but my loss has been very minimal. I haven't added chlorine for over 5 days and it was 8ppm today. It's clearing up slowly. I think the chlorine was too high when I added the sequestrant last week but I had no choice. It may have offset it's effectiveness. I have another bottle and I'm waiting till it's below 4ppm to add it as per instructions. I'll have to search for someone to test for metal but I think I have it going my way for now. I was using sequestrants regularly for staining but I kept getting stain so I stopped. I had to use citric acid anyway to rid the stains so I figured I was wasting money. I think it was working better than I thought! I'll post an update tomorrow. I warmed it up today to swim for Veterans Day, god bless them all!

If any of these stores are near you, they might be able to test for metals...

Leslie's
61123 Airport Rd
Slidell, LA 70460

Leslie's Swimming Pool Supply
312 Schillinger Rd S
Mobile, AL 36608

Miles Pool Supplies
3724 Highway 15 N
Laurel, MS 39440
601-649-7665

Also, sometimes a large hardware store may have test strips for metal; I can't put my hands on it right now but my Home Depot had a package that included at least iron and copper tests, and probably a couple others.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.