Convert to SWG. CircuPool RJ60 vs Pentair IC60 w/ Automation. Self Install

Jun 1, 2018
Houston, TX
Been looking at switching to SWG. Looking for a bit of advice.

I’m thinking about getting a CircuPool RJ60 but weighing that vs. Pentair IC60 w/ automation.

• I’ve got a single speed Hayward pump on a timer. I originally thought I’d have to replace to a VS pump if I went SWG, but it sounds like I can just wire the CircuPool control unit to the same timer that runs my pump. Then I’d just set the chlorine output such that it’s producing enough chlorine for the amount of time I’m running my pump each day. My math says with the RJ60 producing 3.1lbs.day, I could run the pump my normal 8-10hrs a day and be able to set it to somewhere <100% and still meet chlorine needs. Any objections to this?
  • RJ60 vs RJ60 plus. Looks like the plus is the same thing with 2 years more warranty, anyone know for sure?
  • I had originally thought I’d go with an IC60 and automation system (https://sunplay.com/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-521150). However, the RJ60 looks super easy to install and I’m more intimidated with putting the Pentair system in myself. I also think I’d need/want to upgrade to a Pentair VS pump with this system which of course is more cost. Any advice on the difficulty installing the automation system vs the RJ60? Right now my feeling is I can get the CircuPool and have SWG pretty easily vs. dragging my feet because I’m concerned about the difficulty and cost with the Pentair system. I am worried I may regret not having the automation in the future though. (the idea of turning on spa remotely is very appealing). I also haven't learned enough to know how much I'd want a VS pump.

Thanks for the help / advice.

A consideration would be if your single speed motor died today, would you replace it with the same or switch to VS for electrical cost savings? Also understand that single speed motors on pool pumps are being regulated out of existence. May not be in TX yet, but doubt it will stay that way for long.

The Circupool SWCG from most members that have them seem to do well. The 'Plus' is simply a greater coating on the plates thus the extended warranty.

js,

I am a big fan of automation, but cost is a major drawback...

You can buy the RJ60 plus for about $1400...

An EasyTouch 8 with IC60 and two valve actuators is about $1900.. See this link https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-521150

On the surface this is an extra $500.. but with the RJ, what you have is just a salt system.. With the EasyTouch you have an automation system.

To be honest, you will not be totally happy with just the Easytouch and will end up buying an IntelliFlo pump at about another $1,000 bucks and then to control everything from your phone you will need to buy ScreenLogic at another $360...

https://sunplay.com/collections/pool-pumps/products/pentair-intelliflo-variable-speed-pump-011018

https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-screenlogic-interface-and-wireless-522104

If you are happy with the way your current pool is operating, and only what to add a SWCG, then the decision is pretty obvious.

That said... If I installed an automation system at your house for a 90 day loan, I suspect that after 90 days, I'd have to pry it from your cold dead hands.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm a big proponent of automation and can't imagine not having it. And I don't have a spa! With a spa?!? Heating it up before I got home would be huge! Heck, heating it up without getting off the couch would be huge!! ;) Of course, you'll need ScreenLogic to do that, so that's an additional expense. There might be a bundle with that included. If you're leaning that way, you'll probably end up there, so take the plunge, I say! Chances are, if you do it in a year or two, you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

I also would not have a pool without a VS pump, regulations or no. I'm making good, energy-efficient use of four speeds now, and I wish I had two more (four is the max my ET "lite" PSL4 can handle). I wish I had purchased the bundle you're looking at.

Installing an ET would be somewhat more complicated than installing a new breaker box. So if you can't imagine being able to do that, you'd need to budget for a professional install. If you go pump and SWG and ET, you'll want a warranty, which you won't get if you DIY. I believe it's one year with pro install, 60 days without. Some Pentair bundles include a three-year warranty, but you have to buy enough Pentair stuff at the same time. Not sure pump and SWG and ET qualify. My purchases were months apart and didn't include the necessary items, but my contractor negotiated the three-year warranty for me anyway. So there's that [vague] possibility. I expect it's contingent on the relationship between the installer and Pentair.

You'll end up spending a whole lot more with all that, of course. But I haven't read any posts here along the lines of "Gee, I wish I had never bought [automation | SWG | VS pump]." Everybody seems to love any and all once they own them... I do.

Love the Circupool SJ series, they just work, no frills... The RJ series have all the bells and whistles that the Pentair has, I have always liked basic, less things to go wrong..

I went with the PE653 for automation on a 2 speed pump, works great and has been for 4 years... Controls up to 5 things, kind of a pain to set up but once its wired works great.. I have the following, 1 is high speed, 2 is low speed, 3 is the SWG and 5 is my 12 volt lights and radio...

Hope this helps :)

Casey,

I almost always recommend CircuPool, when automation is not involved.. But recently I noticed that the SJ series appears to require the salt level be above 3500, while the RJ series is more like 2800 to 4500...

Just want to get you feedback on this as I have no direct experience with either cell..

Am I correct and where do you normally run your salt level?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim I have been running the SJ between 3000 to 3500 (Taylor test) for about 3 years now with 0 issues.. I just read about the SJ needing 3500 or above, I have always thought it was exactly the same as the RJ and have been treating it so... I do not see any low FC reading but I have been keeping FC between 6 and 10 at all times... I wonder if they have a higher salt level to ensure no issues with the controller...

Yes, the Circupool is hard to beat when it comes to self install and keeping the warranty and ease of use...

Thanks for the advice... I got about what I was expecting and am now swaying towards the automation side.

EasyTouch/IC60 AND a VS Pump AND ScreenLogic is exactly what I came up with as well for the ultimate wish list. Sounds like DIY on this is probably not in the cards. I'm pretty handy but not super familiar with the electrical side.

Would you think this is an electrician job, or a pool builder job? Do you suggest I'd just buy all the stuff myself (from sunplay or equivalent) and then find someone who will install?

There seems to be a lot of options with the VS pumps. The one Jim posted looks as good as any to me. I do notice I currently have a 1-1/2 HP pump, should I be looking for an equivalent power VS pump? I don't have any water features or things like that.

Thanks again

js,

If you go with the EasyTouch you really do not have an option.. The ET is only designed to control the IntelliFlo style pumps. Pentair does have a 1.5 HP SuperFlo VS, but it does not have an RS-485 com port so can't easily be controlled by the ET. VS pumps are much different than single speed pumps.. you just don't have to worry about the horsepower. The 3 HP rating of the IntelliFlo is Max horse power, not what you will use. My pump runs at 1200 RPM most of the time, and uses 180 watts of power.. I have not figured it up, but I suspect that is probably about an 1/8th of a HP.

The bigger the pump the more efficient it is at low speeds.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Would you think this is an electrician job, or a pool builder job? Do you suggest I'd just buy all the stuff myself (from sunplay or equivalent) and then find someone who will install?

I think a lot of electricians might be scratching their head when it comes to linking all the comm ports and configuring the relays, etc. Best to go with someone with specific experience installing an ET, which will likely be a pool contractor or a pool maintenance contractor.

Either way, this person needs to be "qualified" in some way with Pentair. I don't think that means an authorized dealer, necessarily, just someone they would accept as an installer. You might have to check with Pentair for their definition of "qualified." Buying the gear first would probably save you money, but, again, might disqualify the warranty. And you might not find a pool contractor up for that, as they'll want the generous markup they give themselves for selling Pentair gear.

I'd start with calling around to pool contractors, or pool maintenance companies. Let them know you're shopping price, maybe that'll get you a slightly better competitive estimate. See what you come up with.

I seem to remember in order to qualify for the three-year warranty, in addition to the list of components that must be purchased together to quality, you have to buy them all on the same receipt. Something like that. Another question for Pentair support.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
js,

I have read several comments here where people did not worry about Pentair on a self-install and just bought the equipment from Amazon and used their warranty.. Seems like it was around $50 bucks or less.

If you can install a new GFCI wall outlet, or a three way wall switch, then you can install an Easytouch yourself.

Jim R.

Yeah, all that hassle is one of the reasons I'm dragging my feet on deciding to go with that system. Thanks for the info though.

One more question... does this system work with my current heater? Will it just be a relay to turn it on or off, and if so does that get me what I'd want in terms of remotely warming up the spa
Max-E-Therm 200

- - - Updated - - -

Install a GFCI outlet... yeah I can do that. Hmmm.
Thanks

js,

I have read several comments here where people did not worry about Pentair on a self-install and just bought the equipment from Amazon and used their warranty.. Seems like it was around $50 bucks or less.

If you can install a new GFCI wall outlet, or a three way wall switch, then you can install an Easytouch yourself.

Jim R.

That's a very interesting alternative, Jim. Did you happen to hear of anybody successfully making use of the Amazon warranty and getting their faulty Pentair gear replaced? I'd love to hear how that went, 'cause I'd be tempted to try that next time.

... Install a GFCI outlet... yeah I can do that. Hmmm. Thanks

Keep in mind that you also have us... So, it might take you a couple of days, so what? Just mount the box, do what is obvious and ask questions about what is not so obvious.

About the only major problem would be if you have to run a new power line under a bunch of decking. I would assume you already have a circuit breaker box at your equipment pad. What kind of wiring do you currently have out to your pad? Just 120 volts, or just two wire 220 volts, or do you have 220 volt, with a Neutral and Ground? What size circuit breaker is currently powering everything?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm not sure on how to tell the wiring type visually. Like I said, electrical isn't my strong suit.

Here's a couple pictures of my setup.

I'd say you're giving me confidence to just go for it and try to figure out myself (with help here if needed).

Thanks!

a365c12763c5fd58a827e602e9d2dd72.jpg
d1d4526d597b2f802311fc530576bf54.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.