New Pool Install---More Problems

Sep 25, 2009
First, Thanks for all your help on previous posts. I promise to make this the last help post I make during construction.

I posted before about the grading issues my PB and Concrete guy has left me with. Neither will take ownership of it, so I am stuck trying to figure it out myself. I've attached a picture of my situation. The PB has evelated the pool a couple of feet to allow for proper drainage, which has left a 2 1/2 foot drop from the edge of the dirt to the ground. This was going to be my access into the pool but now its a steep grade.

Are there any suggestions?

Attachments

• pool017-2.GIF
    pool017-2.GIF
    51.4 KB · Views: 425
I'd recommend a retaining wall and a stairway or two. Far more attractive and easy to mow etc.. You are probably going to want something to define an area for landscaping around the pool anyway. I don't really believe either of your contractors did anything wrong. You want the pool higher than anything around or you risk water running into the pool.

JohnT said:
I'd recommend a retaining wall and a stairway or two. Far more attractive and easy to mow etc.. You are probably going to want something to define an area for landscaping around the pool anyway. I don't really believe either of your contractors did anything wrong. You want the pool higher than anything around or you risk water running into the pool.

Ditto. :goodjob:

Our pool has a 12' drop, very steep "slope" on the deep end. I know, it is a bit more extreme than yours but...... When we moved in there was no retaining wall just dirt held in place with vines. The previous owner told me to be careful about doing any "digging" around that "slope" as it is supported with "pier and beam". I have no idea what materials were used for support. The decking was starting to drop and crack some when we moved in due to shifting soil. The actual hill starts about three feet out from the shallow end. Total drop by the time it gets to the end of pool is about 10 ft. This is not including the decking; just the pool.

At any rate the soil began to erode so I put in railroad tie retainer wall from decking level, with a 3 ft planting area, between the two. They only go down about half the drop off, though, and rest on the lower half of the "slope". They have begun to shift some. Advice... put permanent retaining wall if you can. Also, consider decking that has some flex to it. Solid concrete, as we have all around the pool, will eventually shift some and maybe even crack. This can lead to uneven coping and decking, as I have, increasing width between decking/coping, and even enough pressure to require a redo of the skimmer, and even cracked underground pipes, especially at elbows. I do have a not-very-well-matched-to-my-Kool Decking patch, in my decking from a cracked elbow due to shifting. It was not any inexpensive repair, and it took the guy many hours to find the leak.

gg=alice

Sorry to be the sole "disagreer", but I think your pool builder missed his elevation-by a mile!!! Sounds like some CYA on his part, and the concrete man is completely out of the blame since he had nothing to do with it (if that is correct).

I'll agree that you do not want water running back in to the pool, but 2 1/2 feet is excessive. If you keep it as is, I would suggest making a large enough flat area around the pool for chairs and tables and whatever else you may want (firepits, etc), and make sure it is compacted extremely well before concrete is placed. Stairs or steps would be nice (if that is what you want. I know it will add cost over level decking though!) as long as it fits your plans. I would personally be a little (?) bit upset if that is what I got unless I specifically asked for that!

Good luck. Looks like you may have a little hard ball to be playing here though.......

Bruce

While I am posting to agree with Bruce, I will also add that he (Bruce) does not want you to think that CYA means cyanuric acid in this case! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have financial leverage, I would use it. You can actually turn that into a positive landscape feature in a variety of ways.......It would be nice if you could get the PB to pay for some of it.

Does he indicate that he thinks a 2.5 elevation looks nice and he intended it all along?

PS - I am normally very supportive of PB's but this one is a bit of a stretch.

duraleigh said:
While I am posting to agree with Bruce, I will also add that he (Bruce) does not want you to think that CYA means cyanuric acid in this case! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What else could I possibly have meant by CYA??! :oops: :shock: :lol:

As a builder, I tend to "defend" other builders as well, but it has to be in a fair fashion. I've seen way too many pools 6 inches higher than they should have been, just because the excavator went down on the stick instead of up (and vice-versa on occasion as well!). A simple mistake that does not include huge potential problems or expense for the homeowner may be overlooked, but large mistakes need to be stepped up to and responsibility taken. It's just the right thing to do.

My .02. Hopefully a compromise (financial leverage will help, as Dave suggests) can be arranged and a happy end result will be the final outcome.

Bruce

I am not for the builder or against, and it could just be an illusion, but from the picture you posted it does look like the back of your property on the right side rises. It could very well be that he was concerned about runoff. I know I always thought I had a flat back yard until the PB walked me around and showed me the issues before he started construction.

I agree with the first reply, you can do some awesome things retaining walls, landscaping, etc. Also I agree that you should take full advantage of the higher ground when it comes to patio space, sunning space, firepits, outdoor kitchens, etc. I had my PB lay extra concrete for sunning space, and it is truely the only space usable around the perimeter as the rest is used up with foot traffic during a busy pool day! The standard package four foot on each side and 8 foot at each end is not much patio space!

It looks to me like the filter and pump are almost at the same level as the pool surface, indicating that the ground naturally drops from one end of the pool to the other. If that's the case, the drop on the end closest to the camera is inevitable. The only options are a retaining wall or grading extra soil to smooth the transition.

Ok, I think the problem is about solved. PB and concrete guy worked it out and when I got home today, everything was okay. Still have a design issue with the fence...but hopefully fence guy will have a good idea... its so close to being done...I can feel the frozen water. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.