Film on top of pool

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
A few days ago, I noticed a brownish film on the top of my pool water. It is almost ALWAYS in the furthest part of my pool away from my return. I have cleaned the pool, added some bleach (but not to shock) and now noticed its more of a white color. Its not a "foam" and the only way I see it is when I am skimming small bugs with the skimmer and small bubbles form and it just looks like a gross film. The pool water itself is very clear and has been passing everytime I do testing. I thought at first it could be sunblock buildup? And maybe it is?

Any insight? I have not added anything to my pool from a pool store...just bleach and CYA this season

Today, I tested my water;

FC: 10 (I keep it high as I was constantly having algae issues with anything lower)
CC: 1
PH 7.8
CYA: 40 (will add, but want to make sure I dont have to SLAM first)
TA: 80
CH: 75

Clear water

Filmy bubbles when skimming, but they pop and go away

Cloudy film on left part of skimmer. Hard to see, but its like a cloudy film

Hi Anjayla,

The fact that it’s at the point that’s farthest from the return makes me think it could be an area of poor circulation. Maybe junk that drifts over there doesn’t get enough current to get any further. Sometimes swimming is the best cure for dead zones!

~Teany

Yes, that thought crossed my mind too. We are heavy sunblock wearers and will keep an eye on things. Hoping to upgrade out pump next season. Do you think that a stronger pump would help with the circulation. We most definitely don't use our pool as much as we would like so this completely would make sense.

Hi Anjayla,

The fact that it’s at the point that’s farthest from the return makes me think it could be an area of poor circulation. Maybe junk that drifts over there doesn’t get enough current to get any further. Sometimes swimming is the best cure for dead zones!

~Teany

Hi Again,

I don't know much about pumps and the pool equipment, but it's possible that even with a proper-sized pump, a pool could still have dead zones. It also depends on the number, placement, and angle of the water returns. Our pool has one corner where all the pool floats end up, no matter what. Adjusting the returns has helped quite a bit, but we still have some places where circulation is better and some spots where it's weaker. I keep an eye on the low-circulation spot in our pool because it could be an easy place for algae to start, but it hasn't seemed to create any problems, although I do wish we had at least one more return. (We have 3 returns and two skimmers for a 20' x 40' rectangle.)

mknauss might have some ideas based on the type of chlorine you use.

~Teany

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.