Gnats? Thousands of them!

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
My pool screen has no holes in it, but I get thousands of what look like gnats floating on the surface in the afternoon/early evening. My pool has no problem skimming and filtering them, so what I’m looking for is any ideas where they might be coming from. We noticed this two years ago (our first year) and last year. But it seems this year is exponentially worse.

We don’t see anything flying around, as gnats would do, they just seem to appear on the water. I wonder if they are behind the pool/coping, and just end up emerging right at the waterline where they live out their lifecycle for the day, only to be followed by another hatching the next day.

Thoughts? My chems are consistently as shown here.

a6c0bf1a394b84625243fa5cd81235f0.jpg
f28d9a373052757e5baeb3f5e7cafe2d.jpg
17b0fbee94e7b8ac1244220a55b3c28d.png
527a93a474e9b48cb4e5a14277fe45c8.png

Had the same thing in my pool earlier this week. We had a stretch of wet weather and I think that caused a hatch. Worst I have seen them in years. Ours were flying around, but not nearly in the numbers I would have thought considering the amount I saw in the pool.

Skimmers/filter took care of them. My chems are also all right in line.

The whole episode only last a day or so.

In the past it seemed to be just a couple of annoying weeks. This year, it’s been a couple of annoying months. The pump, filter and skimmer take care of them, just to have it start again the next day. Also, rain or a dry day doesn’t seem to matter. I’m about to bug bomb my lanai!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.