Winter Cover Options

martypres

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
Central Maryland
I am in need of a new winter safety cover as my previous pool cover has holes and is at end of life. My old inherited cover is mesh and did a good job of keeping out debris but not light. Each spring I would remove the cover to a green algae-filled nightmare. FYI, my pool is in a very sunny spot year-round. Also, I rely on the rain water each off season to fill the pool so some sort of mesh is a requirement. My temporary solution for the mesh/sunlight/algae issue was to put a second black floating cover underneath. Which ultimately worked, but had the added disadvantage of having a second cover to store and clean. So this time I want to do it right. I'm looking at Loop-Loc for my new cover and have a couple options: Ultra-Loc III solid cover with mesh drainage panels or Aqua Xtreme mesh cover. The prices are similar so that is not an issue. Branded as "Virtually Solid" mesh does anyone have experience with the Aqua Xtreme cover and know if it works as advertised? The Ultra-Loc may be the safest bet given my situation, but is significantly heavier and, I imagine, more difficult to carry/handle. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have a Loop Loc SOLID safety cover. My friend had one with a mesh panel in the center and all the filth etc. would just go into your pool. My solid one keeps
everything out and I open up my pool each year to nothing in it but a few worms and perfectly clear water.
Anything mesh about a pool cover is no good. If you have to clean out all the green stuff then there is no sense in covering it in the first place.

Mesh covers are great options. Either LoopLoc or Merlin SmartMesh. Debris going through this modern dense mesh is a non-issue for me. The primary cause for green openings is either closing before water gets below 60 degrees or opening after it gets above 60 degrees.

I literally pull my cover, run my robot for two or three cycles, dose up FC, run the pump and when the robot is done I can swim. Easy peasy.

I have a mesh cover, had my pool built in 2014 in the midwest. I have never opened it to be green.

I just dont think the cover style will effect the amount of algae. Mesh can allow more fine debris into the pool, I will agre to that point, but that debris just sticks to the bottom and walls, and a quick vacuum or two will take care of it.

My biggest issue with solid covers is that they get heacy over time. THe small dirt particles that get through a mesh cover get absorbed into teh solid cover, and over time that cover will get dirtier and heavier.

Thanks for the advice.

After 12 years with a standard Loop-Loc mesh cover, I can definitively say that a mesh cover will allow in enough sunlight to both warm the pool water and support algae blooms. I have opened my pool in early April and it was already green. And if I have to open the pool in March, well, what's the point since I'm not going to swim in it until Memorial Day. I'm glad that others can open to a clean pool with standard mesh but that is not my situation. Unless anyone can argue otherwise, I'm arriving at the conclusion that Loop-Loc Xtreme mesh is still going to have the same disadvantages of my current mesh cover.

Regarding the mesh panels, I don't care about small amounts of fine debris getting into the pool. My concern is light and the subsequent algae. Does anyone know if two mesh panels on an otherwise solid cover would allow in enough light for algae to grow? One dealer I talked to seemed to think they would. I would think that reducing the majority of the light penetration should keep algae at bay. Can anyone speak to experience with one of these hybrid style covers?

Regarding a standard solid cover, I have heard many complaints regarding the cover pump failing, and the subsequent damage voiding the warranty. In the end if I had a solid cover I would end up pumping the water (and probably debris) into the pool anyway since I'm on well water and use the off-season rain to fill the pool. I'm hesitant to get a solid cover without panels for these reasons.

Thanks for the advice.

After 12 years with a standard Loop-Loc mesh cover, I can definitively say that a mesh cover will allow in enough sunlight to both warm the pool water and support algae blooms.

The opening date is only one of several variables. Just as important is what was the water temperature when you closed the pool and what was your closing FC. What was the water temperature when you opened?

Absolutely get the best mesh available. My pool is not an anomaly. I just follow a specific protocol.

Mine is Merlin SmartMesh for the other poster who asked.

But in the end, opening to a green pool is pretty easy to rectify with a few (or more) bottles of bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.