Hayward Heater Problem...unresolved

Aug 15, 2018
Alabama
Hi folks...new to the forum and yes, my first post is a problem/answer searching request. Fear not, I am not one of those guys that joins for an answer and then disappears never to return the favor. I join forums when I have a product and then only leave once I sell the item. Since this house is a fairly significant investment...I guess I will be around for a while.

Now to my current problem:

Last month we purchased a home which has an inground gunite pool (approx 34k gallons) which also has a fairly new looking Hayward Heater installed. During the pool inspection we tried to test it and the fan would spool up and run for about 40 seconds, then it would cut power to the fan, pause for a sec, then you can hear a "poof" as if it attempts to light, then it all spools down and resets to try again. The only code is Ignition Failure after it tries too many times. The burners, coils, etc all look like it has seen little use with no signs of corrosion.

Troubleshooting thus far:

Checked igniter and it is glowing orange (pool repair tech)
Checked vacuum line and it free flows with no blockage (pool repair tech)
Checked the flame sensor and it is clean and functioning (HVAC/gas repair tech)
Checked the vacuum switch and it is functioning per continuity meter (HVAC/gas repair tech)
Checked external gas pressure and regulator (within the 4.5-10 range) (HVAC/gas repair tech)
Checked Hayward gas valve/regulator (clear of debris and functioning) (HVAC/gas repair tech)
Checked manifold for occlusions (can feel a small burst of gas prior to the system resetting) (HVAC/gas repair tech)

While troubleshooting the problem, the display blanked out and I had to reset the unit at the breaker. So, thinking the power supply board might be an issue, I ordered a new one and replaced it per the HVAC Tech suggestion. He basically thinks of this unit as a large gas hot water heater.

I am now at the end of my knowledge, that of the pool repair tech and HVAC Tech, and am now turning to the all knowing Web seeking assistance from you fine folks. I have now spent on two service calls and don't want to keep throwing unproductive service calls and a list of parts at this unit until we figure it out by process of elimination.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts/suggestions...

Thanks for the manuals! I will take a gander though them and see what I can learn about this pain in my arse. BTW, I ordered new flame sensor, main board, and vacuum switch last night and will be replacing those tomorrow to see if that resolves my issue...

...ok, so, my issue has been resolved, but I still have no idea exactly what was wrong. Looking back, I should have replaced each component and then checked to see if that was the issue and then moved on to the net one, however, I just simply ran out of time and had limited time to get it functional and the pool warmed up a little before the wife's surprise birthday party later in the afternoon. I replaced the flame sensor, the vacuum sensor, and the primary control board all at the same time. Problem resolved and heater functional. It raised the temp from 84 to 88 in a few hours. I was impressed...although my next gas bill might be equally impressive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
...well, when I have time I will start swapping the parts back to the original ones, and when it stops functioning again, I will know that was the issue. I will start with the flame sensor. Once I isolate the bad part, I will know I have a box full of replacement parts for the next time this happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.