Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator Off - No Flow

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Chlorinator Off - No Flow

Hey everyone,

Just finished cleaning an Aqua Rite Turbo Cell for a customer. Their Pro Logic readout had been displaying the typical "Inspect Cell + to Reset" message which I reset after reinstalling the unit and tying up the cables with zip ties. This and "Check System" were the only "out of the ordinary" messages it had been displaying previously.

About 3 minutes after restarting the system, the Pro Logic readout began displaying "Chlorinator Off - No Flow". Great! I did a few other things and after 20 minutes or so, it still had the same message. I checked the wire leading from the flow sensor to the Pro Logic, thinking I may have accidentally cut it when I was clipping off the old zip ties, but it was intact. I double-checked the wire to make sure.

My question is, does the Pro Logic have a "pecking order" for the display of these messages or would all the messages be displayed in sequence as the default menu cycles through? In other words, could the "Inspect Cell" message been hiding the "No flow" message because it had a higher priority or whatever?

Incidentally, the filter pump had stopped running over the last week or so when the system was on automatic, which leads me to believe the flow switch may not have been working prior to cleaning the cell.
    15,323 gallon inground pool, Wetedge Primera Stone plaster, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntelliFlo 4x160 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch control panel, Pentair Kreepy Krauly. No spa, no heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinator Off - No Flow

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTwister
    My question is, does the Pro Logic have a "pecking order" for the display of these messages or would all the messages be displayed in sequence as the default menu cycles through? In other words, could the "Inspect Cell" message been hiding the "No flow" message because it had a higher priority or whatever?
    I have the Aqua Logic PS-8 system. On page 39 of the Operation Manual, in a discussion of the Diagnostic Menu options, it states
    It's possible to have more than one reason, in which case after you rectify what was displayed the first time, a second display will appear.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Thanks polyvue! I had a sneaky feeling that was what was happening. Clearing one issue revealed another.
    15,323 gallon inground pool, Wetedge Primera Stone plaster, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntelliFlo 4x160 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch control panel, Pentair Kreepy Krauly. No spa, no heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just want to say that, I had one a few years ago that, when putting the 'zip ties' on, whoever had done it loosened a wire on the flow switch Loosening the tension on the wire allowed the connection again (though we came back a week later and replaced the switch). Just a
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you ever get a solution for the "Chlorinator Off - No Flow" issue? We just had our salt cell installed and are getting the same error message. I have the Aqua Logic PS-8 system.

6. Back To Top    #6

JenTran, welcome to TFP!
    Sounds like your installer screwed something up. The flow switch could be installed backwards, not installed, not plugged in...I'm not familiar with that particular unit, but since you had someone install it they should take care of it. If you need more help, start a new thread so more people will see it
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you - I figured it out. The flow switch was not even installed. Unfortunately, our pool builder ended up being somewhat of a con man so we are left on our own trying to figure all this out.