Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater bypass switch?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater bypass switch?

a friend of mine has a Cal Spa hothub. He is wondering if he can get a heater bypass switch installed so it will not power up the heater in the winter months. This way the water can circulate without heating it. He doesnt want to drain the water all the time and doesnt want to keep it heated all the time either. The Tub seem to always keep the temperature to about 80 or so.

Is this a common practice? Any links to documentations would be helpful.
    14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater bypass switch?

Why not just turn down the temperature? I'm sure it has a thermostat somewhere.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends on the tub. Most thermostats can only be set as low as 70-80, but many have an "economy" mode (or something similar) that only heats to within 10-20 degrees of the set temp. He could manually stop it from coming on by opening the high limit or pressure switch circuits, but those might cause the filtration to run 24 hours for freeze protection. Depends on the controls.

If you can post a pic of his topside and control pack I could be more helpful.

4. Back To Top    #4

The top panel? There is only 4 buttons. 2 of them are for the jets and 1 say "temp" 1 say "lights" then there is a LCD display.
    14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.

5. Back To Top    #5

The newer 4-button Cal-Spas have three modes that can be accessed by pressing "Temp" then "Light". Pressing that sequence should scroll through three options:

St - Standard mode, heats until set temperature is reached.
    Ec - Economy mode, only heats during filtration.
    Sl - Sleep Mode, only heats during filtration and only heats to 10 degrees below set temp.

So what he should do is set it to sleep and set the thermostat down as low as possible. Assuming this is 80 degrees, it shouldn't ever get above 70.

The tub is set from the factory to filter for 4 hours (2 2 hour cycles). If that's all it's running then it may not even get to 70 during the winter months. The other options are to run in 4, 6, or 8 hour cycles. You can alternate this by pressing "Temp" then "Jets 1".

Hope that helps.

6. Back To Top    #6

Although I don't have a Cal Spa, many "things" are similar for most tubs.

My spa instructions warn that draining doesn't always clear out water from certain parts of the spa so if one is expecting any freezing temps there could be some freeze damage from remaining water.

The control box on my spa has plugs for each "system" of the tub. Any one, including the heater, can simply be unplugged. That would be nice if his spa has that. That way the sanitized water will circulate to keep the water lines from building up bioslime.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks for you help. the control panel say "OC" and he got it from costco. and the costco web site says "oc hot tub by Cal Spa"

Next time he fills the spa I will help him set it to sleep mode.

It is true, spa cannot be completely drained. my friends spa is drained but there is still standing water in the curvature of the seatings.