Kings Hawaiian Sweet Bread

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
NW Ohio
As the weather turns colder, and my current pool project is stuffed away in the barn for a long winters nap, my attention turns towards the kitchen. This week in the kitchen was to find the secret to Kings Hawaiian Sweet Bread. You know it, you love it, that round bread in the orange wrapper. It is delicious, no doubt about it. It is also expensive, as far as breads go! Usually 3 to 4 bucks. Also, since this isn't outdoor cooking, I put this in the coffee bar, as this bread is ok to have with coffee.

So I dusted off the 'ole bread machine, and searched the internet looking at many variations of the same recipe. Yes, I said bread machine. If you've never used one and make bread, get one. The labor it saves is immense! All the machines I've seen have a dough setting that'll make the dough, do the first rise and punch it down then let you know it's ready for you to do whatever you want with the dough. This is the setting I typically use unless I'm testing recipes then I just let it cook the bread too.

Anyway, after about 7 loaves, I think I have the recipe! At least my family thinks so. I currently have my first loaf that is not going to be cooked in the machine on it's final rise. It is in the classic Cob shape. I should go check on it before I continue. Ok, it's still where I left it. Only bigger.

So here we go! :party:

This is for a one pound loaf, as that's what my old old bread machine is. This also is not a recipe for someone who has never made bread before. If that's you, you should probably start with a basic white bread and some better instructions. I've purposefully left out the basics of bread making, i.e. rises, punch downs, final shaping and rise, etc... You should probably know how to do all that before attempting any bread recipe I write. :mrgreen:

Ingredients
2 to 2 1/2 Cups Bread Flour - Don't skimp here, please do yourself a favor and get real bread flour. I personally use nothing other than King Arthur's Unbleached Bread Flour, but I know there's other brands out there. Bread flour is high in Gluten, and is really needed for the bread.
1 Large Egg - Please bring eggs to room temperature before doing any cooking with them. The vast majority of our cooking is based on the french cuisine, so the vast majority of our recipes are based on french cooking. You'll never see the instructions to bring the eggs to room temperature first in a french cookbook, as the french do not keep eggs in the fridge, so they're always at room temperature! If you can, go to the chicken farmer down the road and get a fresh warm one.
2/3 Cup Pineapple Juice - Please use the best you can get. Canned is ok, but try to buy a whole pineapple and squeeze the stuff out! Strain it through some cheese cloth to get the 'pokies' out of the juice.
1/4 Cup Granulated White Sugar - Yeah... You're on your own here.
1/16 tsp Ginger - Now I know you all have 1/16 teaspoons laying around in your kitchen, right? Of course this is freshly grated Ginger I'm talking about. But if you have to use the <Cringe> bottled powdered stuff </Cringe> please use a 1/8 tsp. You do have a 1/8 teaspoon, right?
1/3 tsp Vanilla Extract - You don't have 1/3 teaspoon either? Sheesh! Ok, just guess at the amount then. Also, if you pull out your vanilla from your cupboard and it says, "Imitation Vanilla" Please head to the nearest sink and just dump it straight down the drain. Go get yourself some real vanilla extract. Better yet, just make it yourself! Get three vanilla beans, madagascar beans seem to be best for this bread. Slice lengthwise down each vanilla bean leaving about an inch or so at the ends. Put those sliced beans in 1 cup of vodka in a tightly sealed jar and keep it in a dark cool place for two months. Shake well before using. It'll last for years!
1/6 Cup of Butter - Lemme guess, you don't have a sixth of a cup either, huh? Alright... Just throw in 1/3 of a stick, but if you've read this far, you know what's next. Two things, if you're getting the butter from a store, check the date. If it's an expiration date get one as far away as possible. If it's a made on date, get it as close as possible. Also, make sure it's the unsalted variety! However, it would be best to go to your neighborhood dairy farmer and almost fill up a quart jar with fresh milk. Put the lid on and start shaking like crazy. You'll have the best butter in no time!
1 to 1 1/2 tsp bread yeast It's best to use bread yeast, not wine yeast here. OH, and please don't make your wine with bread yeast. It can be done, but BLECH!!! There is some vast differences in yeast, and if you've made it this far into this recipe, odds are you know what they are.

Alright, throw all that stuff in your bread machine. You know the order to put those in if you have a bread machine. Set for your dough cycle, or complete cycle, your choice. There ya go! My version of Kings Hawaiian Sweet Bread!

...and I have no idea where the camera went as I was gonna getchya a picture of the rising dough I have!

Anyway, enjoy! I think I've calculated it down to about 60 cents a loaf... if you're counting.

Oh!! Start with two cups of flour, add more if needed. I don't know how to put the texture the dough should be into words, but it needs to be bread doughy. :goodjob: It depends on the ambient temperature, humidity and the alignment of the stars and planets.

The amount of yeast you use depends on how old it is to begin with, and the planet thing.

Found the camera!

Mmmmmmmmm! 'bout ready to turn the oven on! Meet me back here in about a half an hour, and I'll have it baked!
risingbread.jpg

AGGGHHH!!! Curse you Louis-Camille Maillard and your stupid reaction!! :evil:

Ok, so the first loaf I did not let the machine cook came out a little too dark! Never fear, I'll scale back to 325 in the oven and see how the crust turns out. It's still good, izjus a little too crunchy on the outside. Might be too much sugar too, but since it turns out ok in the machine, it's probably just a matter of temperature.

Sir, you know not what I speak, as you're too young in 1903. It will not be until the 1910's that you will know of what henceforth would be called the Maillard Reaction. Both the gift and curse of the culinary world. Additionally, you should grow a proper mustache before addressing your elders in such a manor. Come back when you look like this.

maillard.jpg

I've never heard of this bread but it sounds delicious.

Do you treat the crust in any way before baking, such as a cold water or egg white wash? Do you mist the oven during baking? I gather you don't since this bread apparently is to have a soft crust.

Might you have a good Monkey Bread recipe? I'm good to go with the dough but run into trouble with the topping which always caramelizes too much and gets hard and unpleasantly crunchy. I use an Alton Brown recipe in which you dissolve brown sugar in butter. This is not working for me, I'd love a different method.

I hope my wife doesn't see this post. She loves Kings Hawaiian bread, and I'm the one who gets along with yeast.

Kias said:
Put those sliced beans in 1 cup of vodka in a tightly sealed jar and keep it in a dark cool place for two months. Shake well before using. It'll last for years!

What can you do with the rest of the vodka and the pineapple juice? Hmmmm??

AnnaK said:
I've never heard of this bread but it sounds delicious.

Eeegads!! Hit your local megafood place and look in the bakery section! It's not in the bread aisle.

AnnaK said:
Do you treat the crust in any way before baking, such as a cold water or egg white wash? Do you mist the oven during baking? I gather you don't since this bread apparently is to have a soft crust.
This bread is suppose to have an extremely soft crust... I failed miserably on this run.

AnnaK said:
Might you have a good Monkey Bread recipe? I'm good to go with the dough but run into trouble with the topping which always caramelizes too much and gets hard and unpleasantly crunchy. I use an Alton Brown recipe in which you dissolve brown sugar in butter. This is not working for me, I'd love a different method.
AB's recipes are awesome!

Are you talking about the topping that's underneath the bread while in the oven? If so, it might be browning too much because of the 'direct' heat from below. Try putting a baking sheet or two under your bundt pan to spread the heat out. Better yet, put a pizza stone under there if you have one. If you have a convection oven, make sure the fan is on.

Are you letting the topping and the dough sit in the fridge overnight?

Your oven might be too hot also. Do you have a thermometer in there? Don't trust your dial.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Rob. No, I haven't left it sit in the fridge overnight. I'm still trying to get the brown sugar to melt in the butter without making taffy. And special thanks for the pizza stone or double pan in the bottom of the oven, good idea!

Ingredients
2 to 2 1/2 Cups Bread Flour [...]
Your penchant for quality & precision reminds me of why I rarely give out recipes to guests who rave about a dinner I've prepared...

A few years ago my step-mother (new to family) insisted I provide her the recipe for a gumbo dish they enjoyed that I prepared for them during a visit to California. Warned that I only make this during the summer so as to be able to use over-ripe farmer's market tomotoes and with a 1 page essay reminscent of your instruction for King's Hawaiian bread in its detail and insistence on fresh ingredients, they returned home. Some months later she called me to complain that the gumbo wasn't as good as she had thought and that I should "work on it some more." :evil:

After a brief interrogation it turns out that she had substituted canned tomatoes for fresh, used dried basil, declined to pulverize the peppercorns in favor of pre-ground Schillings, replaced fresh sea scallops and langoustine with canned bay scallops and pre-cooked shrimp.... :ncool: :ncool: :ncool:

Arrrgh!!

P.S. Glad you understood and enjoyed my petite plaisanterie...

polyvue said:
Ingredients
2 to 2 1/2 Cups Bread Flour [...]
Your penchant for quality & precision reminds me of why I rarely give out recipes to guests who rave about a dinner I've prepared...

:rant: Now you did it! You brought up one of my "hot button" issues. I've had that happen to me twice.

My aunt wanted the "recipe" for the dinner rolls I usually bring to family dinners. I told her that, IMO, making bread requires you to adapt on the fly, so to consider the recipe a guideline. I got an email from her a few weeks later saying it hadn't worked out for her. She said the rolls had a good flavor (this is a very slightly sweet roll), but they were dense. Turns out, she hadn't used bread flour, and had only given the dough about an hour total rise time for two rises in her air-conditioned kitchen because she was in a hurry. In a hurry and making bread are mortal enemies!

I had a new co-worker and his family over for dinner a few years back, and I fixed pork chops on the smoker. One of my favorite recipes because it's easy and they are good. I buy a whole pork loin, then have it sliced about an inch and a quarter thick. Brine the chops in a seasoned brine for 24 hours, then put a seasoned glaze on them the last 15 minutes or so. The co-worker wanted the "recipe", and I wrote down a narrative about how to make them. He bought pre-cut 1/2" chops at Walmart, soaked them in the brine (made with iodized salt) for about 15 minutes then cooked them on his stinking gas grill. Amazingly, his weren't moist and tender like mine. I must have left something out. :grrrr:

Why do people insist on taking shortcuts when they try a recipe? Usually, when food is remarkably good, it's because the person who prepared it skipped the shortcuts and did it the right way.

[rant over]

When I was almost 16, I started working for Chef Mulvaney as Chef de Plúnge. :mrgreen:

Chef said he was the Sous Chef at a 3 star Michelin Rated restaurant in France. I had no idea what that exactly meant at the time, but all of his plaques and trophies in his office sure was impressive! This guy was the absolute meanest nice guy I've ever known! If you don't know what I mean by that, you've obviously have never worked for a chef before. LOL! Go find BBC's production of "Chef!" it ran for 3 seasons and has 20 shows. If you have Netflix, you can watch it instantly or order the DVD's. In that show, Chef de Cuisine Gareth Blackstock could easily be my Chef. I love that show! They killed it and I have no idea what happened to them! Ugh...

Anyway, one fine evening about a half an hour before dinner started, Chef came in, pointed at me and said, in his typical mean voice, "You!! Back here!!" I was terrified of this man, so I tucked my tail between my legs and followed him into the back kitchen, AKA the prep kitchen. He announced that I was now the prep-cook for dinner, I would get one dollar more, and for the next 29.7 minutes proceeded to show me exactly what I was to do. He was saying words and phrases I've never heard of before in my life! "Mis en place"?? What? "Service à la russe" Huh?? Since he didn't even pause for me to ask questions, and I probably would never have asked any questions anyway, I decided to quit listening to what he was saying, and pay more attention to what he was doing! He did say a lot of times, "Cook it 'til it's done!" and "Bake it 'til it's done!" Luckily that night, and the next two weeks, everytime Chef barked an order at me, Shelly, the Sous Chef, just magically appeared out of nowhere to make sure I knew what I was doing. I'm almost certain now this was done under Chef's orders. So all was good for the next 6 months. I watched people come and go, most got fired in a huge display of yelling from the Chef during the busiest times. Which mostly was followed by a silent collective groan from the rest of the staff as we'd now have to make up for the missing person. There were only a handful of people that actually had worked there for more than 4 months. They were considered the Senior Staff. HA!

Then one fateful night, I think we were doing 172 seats for dinner, crazy busy it was. I passed a pot of mussels I cooked to the line, where they plated it and sent it to the expediter, who just happened to be Chef that night. Then it boomed out of nowhere, "WHO COOKED THE MUSSELS??" Oh, K-R-A-P! I just froze where I was, and yelled out, "Chef!" He marched back to me, plate in hand, threw it down in front of me and proceeded to tell me how he wouldn't even serve that to the maggots that eat feces. I was below the scum of the earth, etc, etc, etc... (No seriously, watch "Chef!" you'll know what I mean!) Apparently I had overcooked the mussels. Somewhere in my verbal beating I yelled back at Chef something to the effect that in 27 years he's never overcooked anything!! Now, I'm not sure how many of you realize how extremely loud a restaurant kitchen is during dinner time, but when I said that, all work ceased and you could've heard a pin drop in there! It was that instant that I realized what I just did. I called out the Chef on his own cooking! It was also that instant I had succumbed to the fact that I would now be looking for another job. I thought Chef's eyes were going to pop out of his head! I also decided that if they were going to pop out, I wasn't going to catch them. He glared at me with those almost-popping-out eyeballs for probably 5 seconds, but it seemed like an eternity. He then spun around real fast and yelled out, "Back to work!!" and disappeared into his office. I didn't see him the rest of the night. Shelly came over to me, and all she said was, "wow!"

The next evening, I was sharpening my knives getting ready for dinner, and the Chef said, "You! Up here!! Friturier!" Yes, most of our names were "You" ya just got used to it. He never said anything about the night before, and he spent another 29.7 minutes with me showing me what I would be doing. Then of course for the next two weeks, Shelly would appear out of thin air to help me everytime I needed her, and she did so without me even looking for her. After that, every 3-4 months, Chef would move me to another line position, spend the same 29.7 minutes with me, then magical Shelly would appear out of nowhere. This went on until I moved through every position on the line, including the Garde-Manger and the much coveted Saucier. Now I've been working there about 2 years, and it was a little after midnight on a Friday, and we were deep cleaning the kitchen so we weren't going to get out of there before 3am, but Chef came up to me and said, "You! 9am tomorrow! Be here!"

So like a good minion, I showed up at 9 the next morning, walked into an empty kitchen, (Which looks very strange since I've never seen it that way before), there was the Chef, the five other chefs, and Chef Shelly, who had a big smile on her face. Chef barked out, "Office! Now!" Never a man for complete sentences, but nevertheless got his point across. I went in his office and sat down not really awake yet I remember thinking, "He called me in this early to fire me?? weird!" He followed me in, sat behind his desk and smiled. Now I knew I was in a dream, this man does not smile, ever, for any reason! He threw a jacket at me, told me there were 5 more in my locker, and said, "Put it on, Lets go!" He walked out the door and I got up to follow him putting my jacket on. It had the restaurant logo on the arm, and my name, "Chef Robert Benfield" on the front in fancy stitching. I followed him back through the kitchen where the other 6 chefs were clapping. Went outside got into his pickup and we went to some strange places that had tons of food in boxes and crates and stuff. We'd walk through these places and he'd show me good stuff, AND bad stuff and then explain why it was good or bad.

He could actually talk in complete sentences!

That night, when dinner started, he barked out an order which I knew was for me but he preceeded the order with the word, "chef". I sort of froze, didn't say anything, which at that time he repeated the order, only louder but still preceeded it with the word "chef". I was still frozen, but looking around the kitchen when I caught Shelly staring at me from the other side of the kitchen when she mouthed out, "That's you!" It was then I repeated the order and the night continued.

The next year and a half, 6 days a week, 9am to dinner, Chef actually explained to me why things were done the way they were done, and what's good and what wasn't, filled with examples of both. I couldn't have paid for that type of education. I learned so much about food!!

Then he moved far away to start his own restaurant, wanted me to go, but Crud I was still just a kid. Shelly went to work with him. The owners brought in some chef who couldn't run a kitchen if he tried, and I ran away and joined the navy to learn electronics...

Bummer ending, huh? LOL

Kias said:
When I was almost 16, I started working [...]
That's quite a story. Very moving.

BTW In case you don't recognize me, I'm likely one of the guys fired by your chef. :cry:
I was saucier chef, soux chef... even commis de rang for a number of restaurants back in a previous life.
Like Dickens' novel (A tale of two cities...) It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

At least your previous life started off with a good opening.

My previous life started with a redundant confusing sentence from Lord Lytton's "Paul Clifford"

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents, except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

:wave:

Not exactly on topic but do any of you guys know a good broccoli, rice, and cheese casserole recipe? I have been looking for a really good one, not velveta and lawn clippings like you get at the store!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.