Timing for resurfacing WWYD

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
So we've resigned ourselves to the fact that our 17K gallon 1960's-era rectangular IG pool (concrete/plaster that had been fiberglassed by a previous owner) is going to have to be resurfaced. But now that the rainy season will be underway soon (we've had two pretty good but short rainstorms so far), and the pool is at the low point of our property (and we have heavy clay soil that stays heavy and soggy out into June), we're worried about the pool 'popping' while it's in its drained state during the resurfacing

Which scenario sounds least likely to be problematic:
1. Go for the resurfacing now and hope that the really heavy rains don't get going for another month or two
2. Wait until spring when the rains have stopped but the ground is still pretty heavy and soggy
3. Wait until late spring/early summer when the ground is dry but: 1. the water costs would be higher b/c of drought pricing (and we need to use the bulk of our water allocation for keeping the landscaping alive); 2. the pool would be out of commission during time we'd like to be using it

thanks for your input

What? 3 inches [from last week's No. Calif. storm] not enough for you? :-D

Seriously though, what kind of material will you use to resurface the pool shell? It sounds like you're leaning toward doing it sooner rather than later. I don't think Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda should get freezing temperatures for a while yet...

polyvue said:
Seriously though, what kind of material will you use to resurface the pool shell? It sounds like you're leaning toward doing it sooner rather than later. I don't think Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda should get freezing temperatures for a while yet...
We're planning on having the fiberglass removed and converting it back to plaster.

So is it the freezing/expansion that does the most pool-moving damage, more than just the weight/pressure of heavy wet clay soil and gravity?

PoolCleanerMom said:
So is it the freezing/expansion that does the most pool-moving damage, more than just the weight/pressure of heavy wet clay soil and gravity?
I must defer to those more versed in pool construction to provide a technical answer to your question, but my belief is that in the East Bay the water table and expansive soil could have a more immediate detrimental impact on the shell than freezing temperatures. Therefore, I think you're right to be concerned if replastering means emptying your pool for many weeks during a rainy period when the water table is elevated and soil conditions might lead to expansion.

Very cold temperatures might affect the plaster setup, but this is only my conjecture.

Its a well point set in a gravel bed under the deep end attached to a pipe to the surface. A pool pump is attached when needed to suck any water from under the pool. It prevents hydrostatic pressure related problems like pop ups and such .

When needed is defined here as anytime you need to empty the pool, such as when performing new coping, tile and or plastering or when installing a new liner or when working on a fiberglass pool.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.