my awful trip to the pool store

survey77777

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2007
ontario, canada
Let me start by saying that I've been a loyal customer of this pool store since we got our pool three years ago.
I went in today to have my water checked. This is the first time this year that I've had my water to this place and I've bought chemicals and supplies there at least three times this season.

I went in today to have my water checked as I needed a stabilizer level after adding their stabilizing product to my pool. I had had my stabilizer levels checked at another place that I was looking at buying a robotic vacuum on Sunday and they read my stabilizer as 50. So after he checked my water he told me that my pool was dangerously acidic and my chemistry was Crud (his words). Keeping my chemistry numbers hidden from me he started pulling chemicals off the shelf despite the fact that I'd told him I still had a tonne of stuff left from my last shopping trip at that store. I told him I needed to check what I had at home first (because I want to use up the stuff I have so that I can completely transition to BBB) and that I'd like to look at what they had in the way of automatic vacuuming systems. So he wrote down what I needed and refused to show me my chemistry numbers. I finally told him that I wanted to take the printout of my chemistry home and he agreed to give it to me telling me that I would be flagged because I had disagreed with him about the amount of calcium I needed in my pool. I won't get into exactly how he said all of this to me but having been a loyal custumer to their store for years, I was basically spoken to as if I was some sort of criminal and left very offended. Especially odd is the fact that during this he walked away without bothering to show/sell me an expensive vac. system.

So...now that I've vented and have that off of my chest I'll move on to my questions ;)

According to the store readings, which I somehow doubt as it doesn't match up with what I'd tested myself and expected in the stabilizer department:
CYA 25 -- is this possible after twice vacuming to waste if it was 50 on Sunday and I added almost 1 1/2 cups?
pH 7.5
TA 90
C.H. 100

my pool is still slightly cloudy from the dissipating algae, but still appears to be improving.
I added 5L of 5.25 bleach as soon as I got home without using the calculator...since I was sure I'd need at least that.
What next?...I'm going out to do another vac. Do I still need to do this to waste?
I'm having a hard time finding a test kit around here that tests CYA...is it possible to make my own test for this somehow?
Do I need to grab some calcium (from another store) for my liner or is it still in an ok range?

Any guidance, comments, commands would be welcome.

Thanks again for all of your valuable help and opinions. Sorry I'm so wordy...agitation seems to do that to me (as do many other emotions ;)
N

What an &*$... Him, not you :)

With his numbers, how is your pool acidic? And Crud chemistry? For a vinyl lined pool, assuming your FC/CC/TC is all good, it's Darn near perfect :)

Was this guy the owner? Either way, I'd write a letter while it's fresh on your mind, explaining in no uncertain terms why they lost a big sale on a robot vac and why you will never again set foot in there store as well as tell everyone you know about your experience.

As for CYA, if you used granular, remember it takes up to a week to fully dissolve. If you backwashed and it wasn't fully dissolved, it's likely gone. Right now getting the algae cleared is your priority. Ignore CYA, you've got some, the same amount I run, actually.

Assuming your FC holds overnight (if it doesn't, shock until it does), keep your FC at your target of 3 ppm (11.5% of CYA) and keep filtering, backwashing as necessary (don't do it too often though, dirty sand filters actually filter better than clean ones, so only backwash when the PSI has gone up by 10 over your clean baseline), and when the FC holds, water is clear and bottom vacummed, give it a final backwash, then increase CYA if you want to.

I think many go through this break up. Relax, independance is in your future, and it's a wonderful feeling :)

Its funny how pools stores test your water for free (with the intention that you will buy $$$) worth of chemicals. Very short sighted. What they don't realize is that they build a trust with you and when it comes time for you to replace that vinyl liner or buy a new heater, pump, filter, fancy new lights, and better yet, refer other people to shop there and best yet, recommend a friend to have their pool built by them. When I go to a garage to get my car fixed, if I feel the mechanic is being honest with me aboout what need replacement, what can be fixed and what can last another 8 months I will tend to go back to them over and over again, but try and screw me once and I will never go back, in fact, I will steer any of my friends away.

LOL Rangeball...thanks...I needed that.
My FC has been holding overnight. In fact my test kit read it as 4ppm both last night and this morning so I guess it's just a waiting game now. Although I just dumped that bleach in after my encounter.
Should I vacuum it to waste again or just through my filter?
Is my alkalinity really ok where it is? He threatened earaches, rashes, infections and a plague of locusts at the store?
Thanks again :)

I agree with Rangeball, you numbers are just about perfect. The usual CYA test is something like +-15, so you could both be right about the CYA level. I suggest you aim for CYA of 30-50, and I'll bet you are in that range somewhere.

WalMart sells an HTH 6 way test kit for less than $20 that includes a CYA test good for two or three tests.

survey, holding FC overnight means you test at night and the next morning, without adding any additional bleach, you get the same result as the night before. From your post it wasn't clear if this is what you meant. If it is, you're good to go :) And it has to be FC, not just TC. Not sure what your Lamotte kit can test for.

I don't vaccum to waste unless I have a lot of debris/dead algae on the floor. If you are holding FC which would seem to indicate you've killed everything, with a sand filter I'd vacuum everything into it and backwash as necessary, like described above. I think you'll end up losing less water that way. Remember, when you backwasy or vacuum to waste, you are losing your CYA.

The guy at the store is dead wrong. Ignore him from this point forward :)

Attachments

• DCP_3308a.JPG
    DCP_3308a.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 27
Rangeball...yep...that's what I meant about holding...no additions.
My kit tests for free and total chlorine and they've been equal recently.
I looked at three more places today for a test that does CYA. If anyone has found one in Ontario I'd love it if they could let me know where they found it.
Thanks again,
N

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AnnaK said:
crazycanuck said:
wherebouts in Ontario are you? maybe you can PM me with the store name so i can stay away.

Yo, this is exactly the kind of place you want to go to and harass the heck out of them. Don't stay away. Go in there with a water sample and argue them to death :)

haha, that would be fun, but alas, it will cost me money and time away from enjoying my pool to do so.

AnnaK said:
crazycanuck said:
wherebouts in Ontario are you? maybe you can PM me with the store name so i can stay away.

Yo, this is exactly the kind of place you want to go to and harass the heck out of them. Don't stay away. Go in there with a water sample and argue them to death :)

Ohh... better not do that. They might flag you. I'm not sure what flagging entails, but it can't be good. What if the neighbors found out, would you be scorned and ridiculed? Reported to the authorities as a communist sympathizer? Face eternal pool audits? Do you want to spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder?

Tread lightly my friend. This flagging sounds like serious business.

Sorry sir, it says here on your file that you disagreed with "Tom's" assessment of your Calcium level on July 17th, 2007, we cannot test your water or sell you any product until you attend the arbitration hearing. Your account will be suspended and bail is set at $100,000.

This interesting thread reinforces a lesson that we all sooner or later realize. Pool store testing can be good and it can frequently be very bad. From what I've read of other's experiences, it seems to be more bad than good.

Don't we all wish we could clone Waterbear and put him in our local Poolstore?

Trust your own testing, folks. You'll save a lot of money and confusion.

BTW, WGT your Alk level: I should be so lucky!!! I believe normal should run between 80-120 (mine is 200)

I also would subscribe to the every dirty puddle thing, just to give myself a smile. Keep a vial or two in your car for whenever you happen to be in that neighborhood.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.