caulk level problem

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I want to post the below link in this section because I am thinking that builders may see this section but not the “Pool Closing” section where the link is. A builder or other person may have a solution to my rising concrete slab issue (that results in my caulk level being the last thing you want in a caulk situation).

defeat-caulk-water-problem-in-closed-pool-t17825.html

Thanks

In my opinion you are never going to find a caulk solution that is perfectly level. In fact in most applications you are supposed to install it in a concave nature so that when the concrete expands it does not get shoved up higher than the surrounding pavements. I don't think a small amount of water sitting in the caulked joint is going to hurt anything. It will eventually either evaporate or filter down through the joint. The caulk is still keeping the vast majority of the sheet flow water out of that joint. I would remove the plastic.

Riles

Yeah, I tend to agree with Riles_J. The caulk material itself is impervious to moisture and, given a decent installation, the joint will allow very, very little water in behind the pool wall.. The vast majority of applied caulk I have seen always has a slight concave finish.....actually protecting the caulk from being scuffed off as it's walked on.

Unless you have some gaps between the caulk and the decing and/or coping, I would leave it alone and see no real reason for the plastic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.