Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: caulk level problem

1. Back To Top    #1

caulk level problem

I want to post the below link in this section because I am thinking that builders may see this section but not the “Pool Closing” section where the link is. A builder or other person may have a solution to my rising concrete slab issue (that results in my caulk level being the last thing you want in a caulk situation).

defeat-caulk-water-problem-in-closed-pool-t17825.html

Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: caulk level problem

In my opinion you are never going to find a caulk solution that is perfectly level. In fact in most applications you are supposed to install it in a concave nature so that when the concrete expands it does not get shoved up higher than the surrounding pavements. I don't think a small amount of water sitting in the caulked joint is going to hurt anything. It will eventually either evaporate or filter down through the joint. The caulk is still keeping the vast majority of the sheet flow water out of that joint. I would remove the plastic.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: caulk level problem

Yeah, I tend to agree with Riles_J. The caulk material itself is impervious to moisture and, given a decent installation, the joint will allow very, very little water in behind the pool wall.. The vast majority of applied caulk I have seen always has a slight concave finish.....actually protecting the caulk from being scuffed off as it's walked on.

Unless you have some gaps between the caulk and the decing and/or coping, I would leave it alone and see no real reason for the plastic.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School