defeat caulk/water problem in closed pool

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I have a very unfortunate situation. The caulk that is between the brick coping and concrete deck is lower than both of those surfaces. The concrete deck has risen the tad. This is the last thing in the world that you want because all the water puddles onto the caulk instead of draining away. Regardless of how good the caulk is, if there are any holes, water will fill the area you do not want it to fill.
I have 2 area’s that are really problematic & I want to avoid problems that have already occurred, see photo.
For these two problem areas, I draped a double layered sheet of plastic that will hang well beyond the brick into the pool and will hang well beyond the brick onto the concrete deck, see photo. My actual plastic extends well beyond what you see in the photo & is weighted down w my safety cover & bricks, the photo was just a quick thing I wanted to show the concept.

I would like to know if any of you strongly advised that I remove the plastic. I am sure it will keep rain water off of my caulk area, but I do realize that it will likely be wet from condensation essentially all of the time. I expect that when I remove the plastic next spring I could see mold/mildew/algae that I will treat with which bleach directly on the problem (except on the caulk).

I would like to know if any of you strongly advises that I remove the plastic.

What a disaster! Essentially unfixable- but if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. Yes I know get the caulk perfect; if perfect it'll eventally leak, if not when it is new then when it is older. Major PITA

Attachments

• brick chip 2of2.JPG
    brick chip 2of2.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 17
  • after caulk problem slab 3of.JPG
    after caulk problem slab 3of.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 17
  • plastic answer to low caulk level.JPG
    plastic answer to low caulk level.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 17
Do what you are doing and plan on in the Spring.

Then, either before the trees and shrubs send out the pollen or after, have the expansion joint resealed. The self leveling caulk used takes about a week to cure and should last about 5 to 10 years. It also comes in colors.

Resealing usually requires removing the old, filling any voids to about a 1/2" of the surface and pouring the new stuff around the pool perimeter.

HTH;

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Will do, thanks, that brick chip area has been improved just not ideal & I will re-caulk.

"either before the trees and shrubs send out the pollen or after..."
Have you found pollen an issue or do you say this for some other reason (interesting)?

Can you or anyone explain why that slab rose higher than the caulk & brick, as seen in the center photo?

Pollen will stick to fresh caulk permanently. Kind of unsightly.

WRT the slab rise, I'd say it's more likely that the slab dipped in the back causing the pool edge to rise on a pivot.

When I speck a replacement concrete deck, I like to add in regularly spaced footers to the slab to rest on. This way, when the ground below settles, the footers will keep things where they belong. It costs more up front but you don't get the deck elevation changes.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.