prevent water in skimmer in a closed pool

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
We had one inch of rain and my skimmer is full of water.

How come we do not just cover the entire skimmer lid area with the sheet of plastic to keep water from going in entirely? Drape it in the pool & well beyond all sides of the skimmer lid.

Thanks

We need a little more info. Is your skimmer sealed from the pool with a skimmer door? And is your pool winterized?

If it's sealed from the pool with a door then covering the skimmer to keep the rain out seems like a good idea.

I do cover my skimmer opening with a sheet of plastic just as you described. I also put the skimmer cover inside a gallon zip-lock bag and place it back over the opening (zip-lock helps it to seal tightly). I also place a bottle of pool anti-freeze in the skimmer with the cap loosened. If water does get in the skimmer and start to freeze it will crush bottle instead of cracking skimmer walls ( I hope!)

The water in the pool is lowered below the skimmer opening and kept lower all winter by running a sump pump I place in the pool when I close it.

Bama Rambler said:
We need a little more info. Is your skimmer sealed from the pool with a skimmer door?
That same flap that is present in summer
And is your pool winterized?
yes

If it's sealed from the pool with a door then covering the skimmer to keep the rain out seems like a good idea.

Thanks to all, this helps me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.