Pool Closed...Questions...

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
image001pb.jpg

pool2.jpg

I have read a lot that the pump and filter should be brought inside but the pool guy shrugged at the idea and said not to. The pump is hard wired so i can understand that, but the filter is basically one union removed, away from being disconnected. The only thing connected to the filter/multiport is the one line in the picture.

Additionally the chlorine dispenser is just laying there, which seems pretty odd. I can't take it in because the line is stuck in the multiport plumbing seen there.

Aside from the hassle, good things always happen to equipment when it is not exposed to the elements. Bad things frequently happen when it is left exposed.

I would bring it in if you have a decent place to put it and are up to the inconvenience of moving it back and forth each year.

First, there is no reason to bring it in.

Second, don't have them come back. There was no need for them to leave your plumbing disassembled like that. That was just lazy and wrong.

Whats with the open pipes? Not even plugged? Water gets in and freezes, cracks form.... Incompetence.

Scott

If the inconvenience of the disconnect isn't too bad, I'd bring it in.

UV degradation on the surfaces, -10 farenheit is very possible each winter out there, ditto the pressure guage......it'll be toast most likely. (you can unscrew it and bring it in by itself, tho)

Just like putting a car in the garage, your stuff will last longer if it isn't exposed to the elements.

PoolGuyNJ said:
First, there is no reason to bring it in.

Second, don't have them come back. There was no need for them to leave your plumbing disassembled like that. That was just lazy and wrong.

Whats with the open pipes? Not even plugged? Water gets in and freezes, cracks form.... Incompetence.

Scott

First of all, i wasnt overly impressed either, but I don't believe i have any "open pipes." I did go ahead and bring the filter/multiport/dispenser into the garage. So now all that is left on the pad is the pump.

I am not overly satisfied with the service but i am a newbie so, eventually i will DIY completely.

A few things bother me here.

First, the suction side plumb appears to be open. With the valves shut as they are, rain can accumulate inside. Trapped water will freeze and expand. This can cause a freeze crack.

Second, why are those extensions even there? Did they run out of 90 degree fittings?

Third, its bad practice to run pipes through the pad. All PVC ball valves eventually get scored inside and leak. When the time comes for a repair, I hope there is enough pipe coming up to make a repair that will allow the addition of flush unions first so that the next one doesn't require cutting the concrete out.

Why didn't they roll the backwash hose up? That needs to be brought in from the elements.

Thanks for the replies. I understand what you are saying. I too am a little skeptical of the work, although i am pretty certain the lines are well protected and have antifreeze in them. So does the skimmer. Regardless, i am not a fan of shoddy work and end up disappointed in about 99% of the stuff i hire out regardless of what the job is.

That is why i usually try and DIY as much as possible and plan to DIY this pool from now on if i can. Regarding the suction side plumbing appearing open, i think you are looking at those little caps which are dark in the center. This is where he poured the antifreeze in when blowing lines. They are black in the center but they are not open. He had to unscrew and remove those caps to inject it.
fenderreceiptcopy.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.