Which cleaner and filter for an L

Jul 13, 2007
I am looking for advice regarding which pool cleaner and filter combination would be best for my new pool. As for the cleaner, a dedicated line is being installed and it can be pressure or suction depending on the cleaner the I select. The pool will be a 12x24x42 grecian true-L. Some cleaners probably don't do well on a rectangular or oval pool so I am wondering if the shape will cause problems. I am in OK where the wind blows quite a bit. I expect very little in the way of large debris since there is not a tree in sight. I am expecting mostly dirt/grass/pollen etc. I have looked around a bit but the selection is huge. That leads into the second question about the filter. I have tentatively chosen sand with zeo over a cartridge. But based on our pool size (34K gallons) and what we expect for pool trash, I am not sure I have made the right choice. Our neighbor has the exact same pool and the PB provided a Kreepy and sand filter. Unfortunately, I have not been able to see them in action because the pool isn't quite finished. Hopefully within the next week. Any suggestions would be great!

Rocky, Suction sides cost less and do less. Pressure sides costs more and do more. Robots costs even more and do even more. I would do a pressure side or a robot....that's a pretty big pool and I don't think suction sides are up to the job.

I like sand filters. Get the biggest one you can talk the PB in to. You will never regret that decision even if you end up paying for some of it. The filter should have a capacity (gpm) about 25% in excess of your pump's gpm. My guess is that filter should be at least 100gpm rated and maybe 120 if he matches your pump to your pool. A big filter makes everything work better....don't skimp in that area.

PS - I haven't seen much evidence that Zeo is a huge improvement over sand but it's certainly as good so that's your call. Others report increased filtering quality with Zeo.

Based on some other input on this forum....I have broken my many questions down and posted separately....you hit the nail on the head. The suggested pump is the whisperflo 3/4 hp full rated, energy efficient model and the PB was going to install a pentair sd80 sand filter which just matches the gpm of the whisper. Looks like a larger filter could be in the works. Two questions:

1. Is it possible to oversize a filter by too much?
2. Can the whisperflo be used as the pump for a pressure cleaner or must one have a separate pump (assuming that the valves would allow such a setup)? I do see where this would probably take automation such as timing out of the picture since valves would have to be adjusted manually. A fancy automation system is not in my future at this time.

Thanks!

1. Is it possible to oversize a filter by too much? Absolutely not
2. Can the whisperflo be used as the pump for a pressure cleaner or must one have a separate pump (assuming that the valves would allow such a setup)? Pressure sides almost always have to have a booster pump. They are installed daily in that configuartion and complex automation is not an issue.

The only way a filter can be "too much" is in terms of price and physical size. A larger filter is always better in every other way.

The WhisperFlo 3/4 HP might get up to 30 PSI, though it would be inefficent around there. Most pressure side cleaners designed for use with a boster pump require around 50 psi. Booster pumps are designed differently, optimized for low flow rates at high pressure. Regular pumps are designed for high flow rates at low to medium pressure. There are, however, pressure side cleaners designed for lower pressure that will work on normal pump pressure (typically closer to 15 PSI).

It is entirely possible to have a filter that is too big. If your pump doesnt move enough water then when you backwash it it won't clean the filter properly and you will effectively have a filter that is never clean.

poolio said:
It is entirely possible to have a filter that is too big. If your pump doesnt move enough water then when you backwash it it won't clean the filter properly and you will effectively have a filter that is never clean.

True, if someone had one of the filters from the NASA Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory pool (6,200,000 gallons) and a standard residential in ground pool pump then there could be problems eventually. Being a little more realistic about what pump and filter they might actually be looking at, the motor that was mentioned can handle the largest filter sold for residential in ground pools without any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.