Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile border and water color

1. Back To Top    #1

Tile border and water color

Sorry for the novice question but as I wait for my pool contract I've been looking at tiles online. We are designing a hamptons style pool. The plaster will be a gray quartz aggregate.
    I know that the water color will largely be determined by the plaster but was wondering if the tile at the waterline affects the color as well.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Tile border and water color

I don't think it affects the water color, just the overall effect. Our pool is Hampton's until you get outside of the coping and it's all concrete instead of grass, along with having grey plaster which will be similar in appearance to your selection. It is a beautiful (in my eyes) steel blue water color. It is rectangular, and has bluestone coping. You can see pics our build thread in my signature. I am not a fan of our tile in hindsight. It blends in too much with the plaster, coping and concrete. I would have preferred something either more brown or more blue. Also, since the waterline tiles were used as step marking tiles, they are also not highly visible while swimming. From above they aren't too bad.

But trust me, even with not being in love with our tile, I love our pool.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

We too are going for the Hampton look but are doing minimal coping and lush lawn look
    Thinking of something like this
    AIMGA62323T1-AEGEAN-1X1-GLASS-TILE-800x800.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I think that is a great looking tile for grey plaster and bluestone coping. When you say Hampton's, do you mean grass and bluestone coping?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thinking bluestone-like. Really trying not to go over budget