Fixing a leaking underground Pipe without excavating

Marketing hype being what it is. If you can afford to loose 3/8" diameter in your piping it looks like it could work. They say it's smooth bore so that's good news. In situations where there is going to be signicant costs and/or damage repairing the conventional route I'd definitely give it a try.

I have the same take on it as 'bama. No reason why it wouldn't work (how many turns do you have?) but don't discount the 3/8 reduction (probably more like a 1/2")....that's significant.

I would also be triple-slam, dead on positive that was the source of my leak, too. Probably 95% of pool leaks are not in the underground piping.

I've seen the product, and my concern is the pipe diameter reduction as well, especially in the 90's. I could see the potential for an almost "flat" section as it made its way through. That would not be good :shock:

From my experience, duraleigh's observation is also accurate ("I would also be triple-slam, dead on positive that was the source of my leak, too. Probably 95% of pool leaks are not in the underground piping.").

Seems to me that the options to repair something that is easier than the "proper" fix always produces a downside for the ease of repair! If it was me (for whatever that's worth!) I'd locate the leak and make a hard repair. Then it's done and you won't ever have to worry about it again. Can't say I'd be able to feel the same way with this repair system!

Bruce

One thing I concerned about is that the picture showing the insert through an elbow is NOT using a Schedule 40 elbow. Schedule 40 elbows are a much tighter turn. Schedule 40 is what is normally used in PVC pool plumbing because it is pressure rated. What they used is for drainage applications. It's not nearly as strong.

Here's the picture:

http://pipesdownunder.com/images/330_thekitelbow.jpg

Next time you're in Home Depot or Lowes, look at the drainage and Schedule 40 90 degree fittings. You'll see what I mean.

One of the most frequent failures of a pool line is a skimmer line that used flex. The homeowner put his tabs in the skimmer basket and over the years, the tabs made the line swell and eventually either clog up or collapse. This method of repair will result in failure.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to Bump it to see if anybody had tried Pipes Down Under? As I close in on a return as the source of my leak I'm considering it as an option.

Also, It seems to me this solution wouldn't work for the skimmers as the pipe would get sucked closed. Does that makes sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.