Algae ID Please

JIMNSC

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
I'm the guy with high CYA who has converted to the BBB pool method. For the last two weeks I have maintained FC above 20ppm. I have used PolyQuat 60 at the "algae present" levels. Now I have what looks like algae at the seams on the bottom of the liner. Some accumulation away from the seams but in the vivinity of the seams. I have excellent circulation from the pump. I'll describe it as best I can.

You can vacuum it out but it starts to slowly gather the next day at the seams. You can just pass a brush over it softly and it disappears. The color is a very "slight" beigey/brown. It forms in a circular pattern (quarter size away from the seam or in a straight line within the seam. I can use a sock in the skimmer and it will only slightly discolor it in a vacuuming. The discoloration just looks slightly dirty.

If it is algae I question if it is dead or alive at the rates of FC I have maintained plus using the PQ60 first at the "algae present dosage" then following up every 4-5 days with the maintenance dosage.

1- Sound like an algae?

2- Any ideas on ID from you pros?

3- Dead or alive (best guess) - how do you tell the difference?

4- Recommend a different approach?

My FC and TC are only one drop apart - almost no CC's above 20ppm)
My pH is about 7.7
My alkalinity is 140
My CYA is 117+
Hardness - 210
Copper - 0.0
Iron - 0.0

Many thanks - it just hasn't been a car free year for me........... Jim

P.S. My water has been crystal clear (blue diamonds) since I opened it this year!

Hi, Jim,

From your description, I think you have killed some algae, very likely mustard algae, and it hasn't been brushed up enough to get suspended in the water and then filtered out. Continue to brush it back up every time it settles. I think it will filter out in another day or so.

Obviously with that CYA level, you must keep your chlorine high (8+) continuously, or it will continue to reappear.

All the above is nothing more than a WAG based on some personal experience and what I've read here on the forum. If it goes away using the ideas I suggested, please give me full credit and genius status. If it's still there on Sunday, I'll swear I never heard of you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it sounds exactly like what's in my dad's pool and many, many others this year, possibly pollen of some sort.

You can shock, brush, and it settles right back in and looks the same. Wierd stuff... :)

See my thread that has a poll for pics.

Rangeball said:
I think it sounds exactly like what's in my dad's pool and many, many others this year, possibly pollen of some sort.

You can shock, brush, and it settles right back in and looks the same. Wierd stuff... :)

I have that, but mine doesn't discolor anything...I'm not using a sock, just the skimmer basket, but it's not discolored in anyway.

Rangeball said:

that is what we in the pool business call yellow algae not pollen lmao

I'm experiencing the very same things in trying to get my dead algae out of my water. That's what I assume it is anyway. I had algae...I put in a lot of bleach for days...and now I have something similar to what you're describing. Mine does seem to get better every day and my chorine has been holding for days now.
Good luck with it!
N
P.S. I'm not a pro ;)

I really think that it's helpful to take a sample...let it settle in the jar and then post the pictures and describe what you see. In my opinion...this is an easy step that could aid in proper identification of the substance in your pool. Which may get your pool cleaner quicker.

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.