My pool was closed about 3 weeks ago. Leaves were falling, it rained a lot, temperature was in the 60th.
I adjusted PH, shocked it, put in algecide, brought it up to (Almost) shock value again & put the cover on. (I have not drained it down) Ran out of bleach, the pump was making grinding noises & I turned it off.
Lots more rain, lots of leaves and rain water on top of the cover. The temperature during the day has come up in the 70th again.
After finding out that it probably was the bearings giving out, and a new motor probably is in my future anyway, I turned it back on. (No neighbours near to complain about the noise!!)
I checked my water. FC down to 4.5, CC 1.0.
I added bleach to 15, but every day or two I'm loosing 3 - 4 and the CC stays between .5 and 1.0.
The cover is still on, water and leaves are still on top, the pump is squeeling away at low.
Should I just keep adding bleach to keep at shock level until the temperature drops down to the 50th, drain down, and turn off everything?
Or do I need to clear off the cover, run with shock level until the CC is 0, then recover, drain and turn off?
Or am I too anal, and just drain down & turn off, wait until spring to find out what surprise is underneath the cover & deal with it then?
Thanks for any opinions!