Leaking booster pump...

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
I have a friend that somehow set their equipment to "Spa Drain" - and left it that way for several days. It burned up the motor on their main pump - and Leslie's repaired it under warranty (pure luck). However, once we got the main pump back in, the booster pump leaks a lot around the shaft between the motor and the impeller container.

I found the seals at: http://www.poolcenter.com/service_repai ... #GO-KIT-71

Is this an easy replacement?

Thanks.

- Jeff

I replaced a seal in my pump a few years ago, it was pretty easy but they warn you NOT to touch certain parts of the seal, and make sure you watch carefully how everything comes apart. If the pump is not too old, this shouldn't be too hard for a home DIY'er. I think with older pumps, the frustration of stuck/worn parts and the chance of breaking something else almost makes the cost of a new pump worth it.

Good luck!

The typical Polaris booster pump takes an AS/PS-1000 seal which is the hardest seal to replace, IMO. You can do it, but if you're buying the seal online I'd consider buying an extra one because they're very easy to break.

Unlike a normal seal in which the ceramic side sits in the seal plate and the graphite/springy side sits on the impeller shaft, this one is reversed. The ceramic side is easy to set in place on the impeller, but the graphite half has a metal backing that has to be tapped into place in the seal plate. If you find the right piece of pipe (I think a 1" coupling is perfect, but it might be 3/4"... can't remember. :? ) to slide over it and tap it with it makes the job much easier.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.