Zero-grade fountain same as a pool?

Oct 27, 2009
Hello everyone, first post here.

I am in the process of designing and building a zero-grade fountain (the flat areas with water jets squirting of the ground and kids splashing all over). Will I have to treat that the same as I would a swimming pool? What issues are likely to come up besides the normal swimming pool water chemistry issues? What do I need to know?

I suspect that the volume of water is deceptively low for the purposes of estimating filter and pump capacities and all that. Does anyone have a good idea on how would these work?

Anything you know about these is more than welcome. We basically know nothing at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

I love those things. We went to Green River, Wyoming and the GS played in the best one I've ever seen. It even had infrared sensors to shut off the water when no one was playing in it. I got a peak at the equipment and it had a couple of large pumps, a couple of very large sand filters and a holding tank along with a ton of control valves all ran by a little PLC.

I think the volume of water will surprise you. Depending of course on how many features you plan on having. I don't think sunlight will be a big contributor to chlorine consumption but organics being tracked in will certainly be.

For that type installation I'd recommend a liquid chlorine injection pump system and an acid injection pump. Water chemistry might be a bit hard to maintain especially if the volume is small.

I'm sure someone with experience in maintaining one of those will come along and have better advice.

Thanks for the responses. I read the thread where fountainman asks about fountain issues. He basically has the same questions I do, mostly about cement and other soft stones and their interaction with water chemicals (and those then being deposited in the nozzles and making a mess of them). That thread was an interesting read, though, so thanks for that lead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.