I'm new to this forum and I hope that I can find an answer.
Just spent most of yesterday on google identifying my latest pool problem......'the dreaded black algae' , often refered to as 'the herpies of swimming pools' because it's so hard to cure.
Read a lot of conflicting info on how to combat it and it seems, short of draining the pool and scrubbing it down completely, the two recomended cures are super shock cholorine [done that and still have the algae] and the other cure was copper sulfate which I have a couple of kilos of.
I then googled dosage retes? of copper sulfate and couldn't find any definate rates of application.
to illustrate the conflicting and misinformation I found....please read the following as an example of what I found.....
CONTROL OF ALGAE AND BACTERIAL ODOR IN SWIMMING POOLS
Apply 1 to 2 lbs. of Copper Sulfate Crystal per 60,000 gals. (3,000 cu. ft.) of water. This will result in a concentration
of 0.5 to 1.0 ppm of dissolved copper. Dissolve the required amount of copper sulfate in a plastic container and pour
the solution into the pool. Use the higher rate where visible algae are present. For maintenance dosages, use the
lower rate. Repeat the lower rate to control the recurrence of algae and avoid the buildup of copper. Copper Sulfate
Crystal may be used to help control pool odors and algae during the winter months. Apply the higher rate while the
pool is not being used during the winter. Treated pool effluent should not be discharged where it will drain into lakes,
streams, ponds, or public water.
Don't know if you caught the conversion mistake "60,000 gals. (3,000 cu. ft.)".....it don't add up, so who can you trust?? 60000 gallons (US) is equal to 8,020.83 cubic feet
Does anyone out there have any experience with black algae and/or copper sulfate dosage rates??
my pool is tile, 84 cu mtrs =22,000 US gal
Please share info.....