how does mustard algae differ from pollen?

LadyN

Jul 14, 2007
Arkansas
I have collected some round yellow balls of what seem to be pollen dust. But since I have been reading about mustard algae I wonder if it is that? I have been battling algae for about a week now, and I assumed it was just regular algae.

My numbers and info:
40,500 gallon vinyl lined inground pool

CYA 30
Clorine: way off the chart am waiting fot a kit from this site
ALK: 70
PH: 7.4
Calcium: 180

I am going to look at it under a microscop, but I would need something to compare it to.

Thanks

Nichole

Welcome to TFP!

An image search on google works quite well for pollen, and not as well but tollerably for algae.

Mustard algae generally grows on the walls on the shadier side of the pool, pollen generally collects on the bottom in the same place any other debris would tend to pile up (based on your circulation pattern).

What does it look like in your pool? I am treating mustard algae right now. It is yellowish/brownish in the pool and looks very feathery, almost like it is floating just off the bottom. I can vac up 60-70% and the rest just gets poofed into the water.

I thought mustard algae was not light and feathery, but rather sticks to surfaces pretty tightly, and even resists brushing?

When I was told years ago I had it, that's what it did, kinda brownish yellow green, but real stubborn to brush.

crokett, you may well be right. I was just going on what a pool store told me back then. Should know better, they didn't turn out to get anything else right :(

Found this-

http://www.parpool-spa.com/Page/Help/Po ... pools.html

It has some pics but they're small. From their write up, mustard sounds just like you described. Perhaps what I had back then was actually wall clinging green algae? Who knows...

Many are reporting exactly what this sounds like. Fluffy, settles in seams, quick to return and survives high chlorine while creating a higher chlorine demand. Maybe it is mustard algae instead of dirt/pollen, I don't know but I wish there was a definitive way to tell...

Rangeball said:
Many are reporting exactly what this sounds like. Fluffy, settles in seams, quick to return and survives high chlorine while creating a higher chlorine demand. Maybe it is mustard algae instead of dirt/pollen, I don't know but I wish there was a definitive way to tell...

Well this sounds exactly like what I have. Last night I took the chlorine up to 30 PPM and will hold it there for the next few days. So we'll see.

Rangeball said:
Maybe it is mustard algae instead of dirt/pollen, I don't know but I wish there was a definitive way to tell...

Looking at it with a microscope is definitive. Of course most people don't have a microscope. Even something cheap, like this one will do.

High chlorine levels will suppress the growth of the algae, even if it doesn't wipe it out. So if you clean it up and it still reappears while you have high chlorine levels then it is pollen/dirt.

Rangeball said:
crokett, do you have a way of covering your pool? That way it might show if the stuff is growing in the pool after you vacuum it, or being re-introduced from the air.

Yes and this stuff actually grew while we were on vacation. It is definitely growing in the pool and is not dirt. I also went as far as calling my local Agriculture agent (we have decent ones here) and they said there were no plants that would be pollinating now. Plus my wife is allergic to just about every plant pollen there is. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we brushed it up and it settled right back down in the same place as before. Now it is a yellowish brown color and it dissipates really fast if you disturb it. There is no slimy or slick surface in the pool, just this stuff. It is truly wierd! I am going to treat it as if it is algae I guess.

I suggest collecting sample and putting into a glass jar. Once the substance settles you can take a look at it much better. Pictures do help. If you can post a picture from on top of the pool and one of the sample jar with substance inside.

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.