Newbie with green pool and want to close

luvsthepool

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 2, 2009
Alabama
Hi Guys,
My aunt does not have internet access, so I'm trying to help her with a problem. Since we discovered this site a few months ago and converted from bacquagoo to the bbb method, we've been very pleased and no problems !!! So, my aunt has had a green pool since Labor Day, (can't see the bottom) has used only the pool store methods and they didn't even give her test results, just tested her water and told her what she needed to purchase to add, which she did until just totally frustrated and no clear pool. I ordered the TFtest kit for her and, here are her specs:

15,000 gal above ground round pool with vinyl liner, sand filter (the pool is deeper in the center)

FC=0
CC=0
PH=7.5
TA=130
CYA=30

So according to the pool calculator and cya/chlorine chart, she should shock to 12 FC by adding 366 oz of 6% bleach. Then keep until < 1% drop in FC overnight with CC<= 0.5. Do I have that correct?

Thanks so much for any help suggestions, you guys were great when we converted and I just know she will have the same great results.

Debbie

Remind her to replenish the chlorine back up to shock level very often....2-3 times daily in the first few days is not too much....then she can taper off a little but still must keep the FC level at shock value or a little higher.

Thanks so much for the feedback, especially the 2-3 times/day top off, I'd forgotten that part. She can vacuum to waste and will do so tomorrow. Her FC is up to 6.5, adding more bleach and will check again tonight before turning in and back at it tomorrow.

Update,
The pool is BLUE not green today :party:
It has been getting a little better each day since Monday and today is only Thursday !. It's holding at FC=12 overnight with CC=.5 but dropping during the day to around 9. She's been adding bleach as needed to bring back to 12-13, testing again at night and first thing in the mornings. The water is still a little cloudy, but she was able to see enough to vacuum instead of doing so blindly, so we're hoping for clear water in the next couple of days. Question: Since she is ready to close the pool for the winter, and the closing instructions in pool school recommend bringing to shock level for 24 hrs prior to closing, once the water becomes clear, is it ready to close? Also, closing instructions mention addition of a polyquat algaecide as optional. Since she just spent many $ and a whole bottle of this stuff with no results recently, I'd like to hear your thoughts on using/not using the algaecide.

Last question, when she vacuumed, she turned the filter to drain, but when she turned it back after, stuff went back into the pool. The pool is 3 years old and just this summer the pool store told here about vacuuming using the drain setting, this happened once this summer. Any insight? We have a cartridge filter so I'm not familiar with this.

Thanks so much for the support, my Aunt Linda has become a fan of TFP :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.