New Pebble Tech from plaster. Is maint and care the same

chris4150

LifeTime Supporter
Hello to all,

I recently had my pool redone with Pebble Tech and was wondering if the care is any different from when I had plaster. I have already added Jacks Magic Magenta and havd already tested the PH which needs to be brought down. Is the hardness demand going to be different than plaster? Look forward to the replys.

chris4150 said:
I recently had my pool redone with Pebble Tech and was wondering if the care is any different from when I had plaster. I have already added Jacks Magic Magenta and havd already tested the PH which needs to be brought down. Is the hardness demand going to be different than plaster? Look forward to the replys.
Hi Chris,

My understanding is that the hardness demand is very similar if not the same as with a plaster pool. You indicated that the Pebble Tech surface was recent; presuming that it's older than a month -- or at least beyond the initial treatment indicated by the manufacturer for that type of finish. The main thing is to brush the sides and floor at regular intervals and keep the water chemistry right by making needed adjustments for a plaster pool, per Recommended Levels

Now, we'll see what the Pebble Tech owners say... :cool:

Your acid demand will go up, especially if you are using a SWCG. Do not add any salt for the first 30 days (and preferably 60 days) if that is the case. Once you have passed the 60 day mark it is safe to add your salt. I also use dry acid in my pool as opposed to liquid. My thought is that it is easier to store and does not "sour" like I feel liquid can. Watch for clumps if you use dry and broadcast the acid around the pool when it is running. It will dissipate before it hits the bottom and will not mark the finish like it would a plaster pool.

You should love the look and strength of your new finish! Congrats!!

Bruce

frustratedpoolmom said:
We don't usually recommend the dry because it increases the sulfate level.

If you are comfortable with adding Muratic Acid (with the pump running), that's the route we usually advise.

I tend to use the dry for ease, and I just don't like having the liquid sitting around (I guess I'm weird that way!). You are correct on raising the sulfate level though, and I apologize since I do know that goes against the grain of this site :oops:

The liquid will do the trick, but PebbleTec will handle the dry from a strength of product standpoint (I think that was kinda the bigger point I was trying to make, but I didn't do it very well).

I appreciate the input,

Ive always used liquid MA and applied such last night. I went ahead and did a light brushing of the pool, not sure if this was necessary or not. I read on the Pebble Tech website that they recommended not introducing any chlorine to the water until my PH, TA, and hardness was at the lower range of thier recommendations. I have noticed that my pool water is a bit cloudy right now. I plan on cleaning the filters this evening but Im wondering if this will reduce the effect of the Jacks Magic Magenta that I added two days ago. I look forward to yalls input.

Chris

chris4150 said:
I appreciate the input,

Ive always used liquid MA and applied such last night. I went ahead and did a light brushing of the pool, not sure if this was necessary or not. I read on the Pebble Tech website that they recommended not introducing any chlorine to the water until my PH, TA, and hardness was at the lower range of thier recommendations. I have noticed that my pool water is a bit cloudy right now. I plan on cleaning the filters this evening but Im wondering if this will reduce the effect of the Jacks Magic Magenta that I added two days ago. I look forward to yalls input.

Chris

How are these levels? That could explain the cloudiness. I would think you can add a minimal amount of chlorine 1-2ppm at a time without causing problems. I know you not supposed to shock with new plaster but no chlorine isn't a good idea either.

Not sure why cleaning the filter would affect the Magic, but you can always add another maintenance dose, I would think. What does the bottle say?

Hello Frustrated,

The insturctions on the Jack's Magic suggests that you can use the product for maintanance purposes in additon to start up or new plaster. It doesnt make any suggestions in regards to the amount of time one needs to allow before doing any filter cleaning. Ill provide current readings on the pool chemistry as soon as I get home. I did an initial PH test before adding the initial dose of MA and it was pretty dark, most likely above 8.2. Talk to you then.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.