Helping people on the forum in your area

Sep 24, 2009
Spring, TX
I have been a part of a lot of forums, where members in the area will help other members. I could see this being a big help, especially for the experienced people helping the new people.

For example, I used to be a part of a truck site. When someone needed help installing something we would have a mod party. Everyone or whoever wanted to would come over and help install whatever it was.

So does that happen here?

Thanks.

Absolutely! 200-300 of us are going this winter to help "cancuntom" drink liquor and swim in the pool....he just doesn't know it yet! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I couldn't resist...Sorry. :oops:

Seriously, the geography of this forum is pretty spread out so very few of us are true neighbors. The software currently does not allow us to make "city and state" mandatory when you register but I wish it did. We might realize folks are closer to us than we think.

duraleigh said:
Absolutely! 200-300 of us are going this winter to help "cancuntom" drink liquor and swim in the pool....he just doesn't know it yet! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I couldn't resist...Sorry. :oops:

Seriously, the geography of this forum is pretty spread out so very few of us are true neighbors. The software currently does not allow us to make "city and state" mandatory when you register but I wish it did. We might realize folks are closer to us than we think.

I have just noticed a few people in the area are from Montgomery and The Woodlands. Both of those areas are close around me as I am in Spring, TX.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Well, I for one think we should have a Mod party and that Dave should pay for it.
I used to watch the Mod Squad on television. Mainly because I was a teenager and in love with Peggy Lipton, I admit, but would that get me invited? Assuming Dave's paying, of course. Will Peggy be there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not that we did not take it seriously, but Duraleigh basically answered your question... we are a widespread group!

However, if you see someone from near your area, you could always PM them and see if you could build any interest that way...

Since it is the end of swimming season for many of us, we tend to get a bit more relaxed here at TFP... no offense was intended, I am sure!

:)

Nothing wrong with folks who happen to live near each other give pool help! :)

It's the logistics that come into play :wink: I've offered to give up my Sunday fishing and golf (please don't ask how either of them went this year :oops: ) to go to a pool a few hours away from me and aid the owner. :angel:

While it's best to actually be 'on site' and see the pool in question, the ability to post pics here is almost as good :cool:

(If you ever want my live opinion of what's going on with your pool, all I need is a plane ticket, a place to sleep, some nice BBQ and some beer :lol: )

laurandavid09 said:
I guess this thread never really got taken as a serious thread.

Oh well.
As one of the possible offenders here, I apologize if it seemed that way. I think Mermaid's advice is pretty good. I haven't sent a lot of PMs, but the response when I have has always been very good.

Again, though, apologies for my foolishness. Adding to what Mermaid said, I think I enjoy the off-season here most of all. A bit more light-hearted, possibly more thoughtful and definitely less of a rush trying to keep up with everything. I hope you'll hang in with it and that this hasn't put you off. I'm positive that no slight to your suggestion was intended.

Best regards, Gary

I think that most of our problems here can be resolved with a photo. How does the pool look? What is this equipment? Landscaping ideas?

Beyond that, things that require real expertise (equipment repair) or some manpower (digging or relocating equipment) probably require a local professional. While there are folks here who can walk you through repairing a pump or heater, most of them are professionals who would need to be paid if they came over to help you with that.

About the only non-professional non-photo benefit I can think of would be double-checking your testing technique against somebody else with a similar kit and mindset. We do go through a lot of words on the forum about the hows and ways.
--paulr