Water Level Drops in Spa

Dennis,

If the water drops just below the returns, then most of the time the Check Valve on the return line (at the equipment pad) is bad.. Sometimes it just needs to be cleaned and sometimes it needs to be rebuilt.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I don't think this is an issue.

If the water is at same level as the pool then it is likely the water levels are equalising through the plumbing. May be able to see it if I have a schematic to look at but cant see why it would be an issue on first glance. I think you can see it if your pool doesn't include a surge tank.

With the pool and spa running (assuming this is possible) mark the pool level with a pencil or something so you know what level it was at. Turn off the spa. Does the pool level rise?

Is there any other behaviour occurring such as pool is blowing bubbles, or when the spa fills the pool level drops significantly (8 or more inches).

As stated above, it is likely draining back to the pool. But, I would disagree that it is not an issue because exposing the plaster to the heat and sun will damage it.

Post up a picture of your equipment pad and we can help you figure it out.
It is either leaking back through the return or suction 3-way valves or passed a check valve on a make-up line.

Anything that looks like
dbtgallery.php

The actuated suction valve in front of the pump is not fully closing the right pipe. Need to adjust the internal cam stops.

It also appears that you do not have a makeup valve to send a little bit of water to the spa when in pool mode since your actuated return side valve is not fully closing the lower pipe. So below that picture on the return line to the spa there must be a check valve also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dennis,

When you run your pool, does your spa water continually overflow back into your pool? This is an issue as the aeration caused by the spillover will cause your pH to continuously increase.

It appears to us that your automated Intake valve (by your pump) and your automated Return valve (by your SWCG) are both mechanically set to allow water to continual flow to your Spa when you are in the Pool mode. This was done so that you Spa always has fresh chlorinated water. This is not required if you have an automation system as you can simply schedule the system to run in the "Spillover" mode a couple of times a day to keep the water fresh and keep the spillover off the rest of the time. (We can help you fix that later if you wish)

I suspect the check valve we are looking for is at the very bottom of the pic with your SWCG in it.. Off the bottom of the picture where we can't see it.

Let us know what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dennis,

When you run your pool, does your spa water continually overflow back into your pool? This is an issue as the aeration caused by the spillover will cause your pH to continuously increase.

It appears to us that your automated Intake valve (by your pump) and your automated Return valve (by your SWCG) are both mechanically set to allow water to continual flow to your Spa when you are in the Pool mode. This was done so that you Spa always has fresh chlorinated water. This is not required if you have an automation system as you can simply schedule the system to run in the "Spillover" mode a couple of times a day to keep the water fresh and keep the spillover off the rest of the time. (We can help you fix that later if you wish)

I suspect the check valve we are looking for is at the very bottom of the pic with your SWCG in it.. Off the bottom of the picture where we can't see it.

Let us know what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Yes the spa water continually flows into the pool. I had a pool guy until this year and that is how he had it set up. We have noticed the pH continually rising, and we thought it was normal. I can't upload any more photos, but I do see the valve under the SWG like you said. It appears even a noob like me can change it out.

Thanks.

Dennis

If it is a Jandy type valve (pictures I posted above) then you can take the cover off and replace the internals. You can try just lubricating the check to see if it solves it. I would order a replacement kit to have on hand. I am not sure how available they are in retail stores.

You can check with InyoPools for a kit.

Dennis,

Make sure you take a pic or note the direction that the internal parts are in... You obviously want to reinstall it in the same direction, when you put it back together. It can be put together backwards..

Jim R.

Dennis,

Changing the guts is all you should need to do.

The valve going into your pump is not turned fully closed... Not sure if that is how it is mechanically set, or if the actuator is bad.. To test, you can take out the screws that hold the actuator to the top of the valve and then turn the valve to fully close the drain from spa.. Fill up the spa and see if it still drains down.

NOTE... the screws that hold the actuator on to the valve are longer than normal valve screws.. Do not install them without the actuator in place...

One thing that you could do first, it just flip the little switch on the actuator and make sure it drives from one end to the other... Put the little switch back to the original position..

If you turn the switch and the actuator does not move, the most like the actuator is bad. Could also be the automation system..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.