Aug 20, 2009
Topic split by Moderator

Hello all,

This is my first post.
FC 4.5
CC 0
Cyunuric Acid 38 ppm
PH 7.6
I have a 30ft round above ground. Sta-rite 1.5hp pump Cristal FloII Sand Filter, Pool holds 24,000 gallons.

I bought the pool in early July. I have no previous pool experience. My sand filter doesn't seem to filter at all. When I vaccum I see the stuff I vaccum go right back out into the pool. I've added DE but I see it go right thru to the pool. Surely my filter should do better then this. Could something be wrong with my filter? I've checked the settings, it's on filter. What am I missing?

Hey,

Welcome to the forum.

What city and state do you live in? (How long before you close the pool)

Have you backwashed? A pic of your equipment would be helpful.

Sand filters will do just fine. Something is wrong with yours....we'll help you figure it out.

duraleigh said:
Hey,

Welcome to the forum.

What city and state do you live in? (How long before you close the pool)
North Central Florida, Outside of Gainesville
Have you backwashed? A pic of your equipment would be helpful.
Yes, I have. It seems difficult to get the pressure to go up on the psi guage hi enough to need to backwash(I do backwash after vaccuming, But when I vaccum I see the stuff blow right back out into the pool). If I get home before dark tommorow I'll get some pics.
Sand filters will do just fine. Something is wrong with yours....we'll help you figure it out.
Thank You, I bought the pool brand new in July, I wanted to buy quality equipment and think I did. But my experience with the dealer was good until I wrote them a check, then they didn't want to be bothered with me. My point being, I question that the filter was assembled correctly or maybe doesn't have the correct sand, I don't mean to bash them but I do question their competence.

Please post a picture. Is the pump exhaust plumbed in the filter intake and the filter return to the pool return?

When the pump is off, does the multiport move smoothly?

If the answer is yes to the above questions, plug the skimmer and return and remove the multiport from the filter tank. Drain the water. A shop vac will help speed this. Put it on the filter's drain.

1) Is there sand in the filter?
2) Shine a light in the stand pipe and look for cracks.
3) Remove the sand and check the laterals.

Let us know.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Boy! I am actually going to put my toe in the water :-D and try to help.

Apart from what others said (IS there sand in the filter?)

I have noticed that when the filter gets clogged, the output water is as cloudy as the input So the question "have you backwashed" is very possibly a start here. I am finding that after I backwash, the return water is clear. When the filter pressure builds up, the return water is cloudy. I assume there either a bypass valve, or the filter is just so clogged that the suff is being washed out back into the pool.

I am a noob of the first water, but what are your water conditions like (tress/sand/usage of the pool etc) ? How often do you vacuum/filter and how long do you filter for?

Just trying to give back. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.