Backwashing problems!

Oct 8, 2009
I have a new pool (IG Gunite, 27,000 gallon). After heavy rains here in the Northeast I was told by the pool company to drain some water using the backwash feature on my Pentair Quad DE filter. So I do the backwash and really not noticing any dirty DE coming out...add DE to the skimmer and noticed it's coming out of the returns. I thought I might have done something wrong as this is my first attempt at this. Heavy rains again last night and again I do a backwash to rid the pool of water...again not noticing any dirty DE....add the new DE to the skimmer and it comes out of the returns again. Does anybody have any ideas of what is going on here? I don't think it should be coming out of the returns...pool is all cloudy now and I'm wondering what to do. Looks like the pool builder will be getting a phone call first thing in the morning!

IG Gunite free form
27,000 gallons
Pentair Quad DE filter

Welcome to TFP!!

Did you turn off the pump before changing multiport positions? I fear you may not have :(

What I suspect is that the 'spider gasket' a/k/a 'wagon wheel' gasket inside the multiport has become unseated (or possibly ruined :shock: ). It's a ~$15 part and you'll need to turn off the system and unscrew the 6 - 10 bolts that secure the top of the multi to check or replace it - but it's not hard to do at all :-D

We are here to help with this (there are a few posts on doing this, if you'd care to search for them, otherwise - we'll just tell you how to do it - if you have questions) :wink:

I doubt it's anything other than the gasket :cool: and that's a simple repair :goodjob:

Just an update....PB came to check out the DE problem and it turns out that the Quad DE filter was plumbed the wrong way and all the filters inside exploded and all the DE (well most of it) is in the pool now! So if you are in the market to get one of the Pentair Quad DE filters make sure your pb knows about the plumbing. So now the pb has to fix the plumbing and replace all the filters....good thing it happened quickly before we made our final payment!

27,000 IG Gunite Free Form
Pentair Quad DE filter

mamasproject said:
Just an update....PB came to check out the DE problem and it turns out that the Quad DE filter was plumbed the wrong way and all the filters inside exploded and all the DE (well most of it) is in the pool now! So if you are in the market to get one of the Pentair Quad DE filters make sure your pb knows about the plumbing. So now the pb has to fix the plumbing and replace all the filters....good thing it happened quickly before we made our final payment!
27,000 IG Gunite Free Form
Pentair Quad DE filter

That is great advice. :-D I've been researching the Quad and getting one very soon. The Quad, unlike most other DE filters, has the intake/output opposite what usual DE filters have. If you are getting a multiport valve for it you get one designed for Sand filters. On my current DE Filter, using the push pull valve, down is filter and up backwash. I haven't checked but I assume that the push pull valve for the Quad would be like one designed for a Sand filter. I know nothing about sand filters so I'm just making assumptions about that.

Pentair says the Quad can only use so-and-so valves. There are very few choices if you search around for specific valves for the Quad. But the multiport ones I've looked at will sometimes say for "sand" and occasionally say "sand/DE". That is very confusing at first until you know why a certain type is needed and that's because of the reversed in/out on the filter.

gg=alice

There are 3 ways to plumb the Quad, no valve, a push pull valve, or a multiport vale.

Here are the Pentair part numbers for each:

No Valve Install kit: 270100

Push Pull: 261165 PVC

HiFlow Multiport: 261050

Part numbers came right out of the 2009 Product Catalog. All menat for 2" plumbing.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

geekgranny said:
The Quad, unlike most other DE filters, has the intake/output opposite what usual DE filters have. If you are getting a multiport valve for it you get one designed for Sand filters.
Hello All,
This seemed like a good post to tag onto considering the comment that the Quad DE has the intake/output reversed. I'm putting in a new Quad DE 80 Filter and I'm leaning to either:

1) No Backwash valve
or
2) If I put one in I like the Jandy Backwash Valve P/N 8034 due to their Never Lube feature (I've read about all the issues with spider gaskets).

What do you think of either approach?
Best Regards, Tom

I had a push/pull on my old DE filter. It didn't have a lever as some do. When they get gritty it is hard to get them all the up or down and locked. You can replace a few parts but once the inside cylinder is roughened from grit and sand you might not even be able to get it apart to replace plunger or o-rings like mine for the last 4 years.

I love my new multi position valve and would not want to be without one ever again. So many options you might not think you'll use but things change.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.