Waiting to replaster...dangers?

Jul 18, 2009
Martinez,Ca
Hello....

First a quick thanks to all who helped me convert to BBB, yes I added Borax/Acid, months ago.
Just yesterday I got another " it's so clear and SOFT " compliment. LOVE MY TROUBLE FREE POOL.

We inherited this pool 6 months ago when we bought the house. We live in Nor Cal so we will use it year round. Mostly now using the heated spa that spills over into the pool, all the same water. We don't heat the pool. We were told by the neighbors that for years it was empty and used as a skateboard park. There are a handful of 6 inch areas on the bottom where the gunite/plaster is worn through and the under cement is exposed. The finish is gone and the pool has a "surface of the moon" look to it , which we have come to like, especially at night with the pool light on.

MY BIG QUESTION: ( and it's financial) What are the dangers of delaying resufacing? Or is it mostly just a cosmetic issue ? Thank You.

I can't really comment on the "dangers" but a friend of mine, who has a plaster pool, had a few spots in her plaster that popped out exposing the concrete; some on the bottom and some on the bench; I think a couple more on the steps. That occurred about three years ago. This is the original plaster installed in 88. Otherwise the plaster looks great and is uniformly white without any cement showing through. Although her pool is a decent size it is a "play pool", about 48" deep, uniformly.

This summer she had a part-time pool guy, who maintains a few pools including hers, a retired "geezer", patch the places, done with water in the pool. Not sure what product he used. You can't even tell the patches are there.

I had my pool replastered, with blue plaster, which cost more, in 96 and it cost about (ONLY) $4600. I've seen, here on the boards that it is at least twice that much now. OUCH.

gg=alice

Plaster is the "sealer" that keeps the water in. If you have spots where the gunite is showing thru, then there is a chance that you may begin to loose water (because the gunite can transmit water). Also, if this traveling water makes its way to any rebar, it will begin to rust and it will show. Third, when you do re plaster, you have to be concerned with ground water (when the pool is empty). Make sure your contractor is knowledgeable about this BEFORE he drains the pool, and make the appropriate preparations.

Are you above or below in Martinez?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.