Cancun, Mexico pool water test results.........

cancuntom

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2009
Cancun, Mexico
Just got my Trouble Free Pool Test Kit TF-100
I live in Cancun, Mexico. My pool water is clear and clean looking and the PH and Chlorine levels are checked every other day and adjusted on an as needed basis. I now have this data from the kit but do not know how to interpret it. Could someone comment on the data for me? .........Thanks in advance.

Date: Oct.24,2009

FC= 2
CC= .5
TC= 2.5
pH= 7.5
T/A= 200
CH= 350
CYA= 90
Temps= Air 84ºF
Pool Water 84ºF
:?:

Assuming that you were using a 10 ml sample for your chlorine test, the 0.5 ppm CC isn't a problem since it's really "<= 0.5 ppm". You could redo the test using a 25 ml sample where each drop counts as 0.2 ppm (instead of 0.5 ppm) since I suspect your CC is probably < 0.2 ppm. So I don't think you need to shock.

On the other hand, your FC level is too low for your CYA level if you want to make sure to prevent algae growth. Assuming the CYA reading of 90 ppm is correct, then you should shoot for a minimum FC of 7 ppm. If your pool gets a lot of direct sunlight, then a higher CYA level is OK, but 90 is probably too high. Something in the 60-80 ppm range would be better. Not a huge deal right now so you can just let normal water dilution take care of that. Just don't use any stabilized chlorine (Trichlor or Dichlor) or else the CYA will get higher. If you regularly backwash your sand filter, then I would expect the CYA to slowly drop over time.

Do you use any algaecide or phosphate remover in your pool or do anything else to prevent algae growth? If not, then you've probably got a pool low in algae nutrients (i.e. you are lucky). You can definitely keep algae from growing using chlorine alone, but I wouldn't take a chance with the low 2 ppm FC level you currently have.

As for the other measurements, you can use The Pool Calculator to calculate the saturation index which in your case is +0.40 which is on the high side so could cause some cloudiness or scaling, especially if the pH, TA or CH were to continue to rise. The high TA you have would normally lead to a tendency for the pH to rise over time (especially with aeration) unless you were adding something to the pool that was acidic. If you find that you are regularly adding acid to the pool to keep the pH down at 7.5, then you could just keep doing that and the TA could get lower over time. However, if you have a lot of evaporation and refill and if the water is high in TA, then the TA could continue to climb (same with the CH). Use of a pool cover would virtually eliminate such evaporation. I suggest you test your tap water with the TF100 kit to see its TA and CH levels (no need to test for CYA -- there won't be any). If you want to lower the TA, then you can follow the instructions in Lower Total Alkalinity.

Richard

cancuntom said:
FC= 2
CC= .5
TC= 2.5
pH= 7.5
T/A= 200
CH= 350
CYA= 90
Temps= Air 84ºF
Pool Water 84ºF
May I just meditate on your pool water temperature for a little while? :rabbit: ... :eek: :(

All done, thanks. Our water is 64ºF here on the frozen tundra that is Northern California (you mid-westerners keep quiet -- it's my turn to complain!)

There's nothing I have to say that could improve on chem geek's analysis, so I would just suggest that if by whatever means you reduce CYA you can safely operate at a lower level of chlorine (2-3 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) works with 30 ppm Cyanuric Acid (CYA)).

Add liquid chlorine for sanitation, and if you have any more of those Trichlor pucks handy, use for skeet. Do not attempt to smoke them -- there's no amount of rub that will make them taste good! :lol:

Well, I sure enjoy "piling on" when it's mostly all good news!! :lol: :lol:

That your water is clear and you check the CL and pH as often as you do is a really good indicator of the condition of your pool......you obviously take good care of it.

Just repeating from above, I would reduce the CYA down thru dilution to around 50-60 max (I am assuming you do not have an SWG) and then run the chlorine just a little higher....around 3-5ppm.

Conversely, leave the CYA alone but boost the chlorine up to around 5-8ppm. Reducing the CYA is more trouble at first but will make it easier in the long run.

Please do not post your water temperature for the rest of the winter or you may end up with some visitors! :shock: :shock:

Thanks so much for the input. Some of it is a bit over my head but I shall study it and figure it out.
Dualeigh
..........(Close your eyes before you read that it is 10:21AM Tuesday Oct.27,2009 and that the air temp is 84.2ºF and the pool water temp is 85.3ºF.....a quickie tropical rain storm just passed through and knocked the air temp down a bit)
When we get bored with our garden pool we to go to our "BIG" pool along with some friends: :party:

:shock: Ahh, I here I thought our backyard oasis was nice :hammer:

Tom, you have gotten great advice so far..no need to shock, but please get that FC level up per the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.