Know any good and active lawn care forums?

I had a service for a couple years (TruGreen). Within the first 2 years my lawn was awesome! I cancelled and this year it is total garbage again like literally 50% weeds. Ugghh! I want to go back to them.

all they r doing is using the same fertilizer you can get ur hands on. it's nothing special. just a weed and feed or a feed. if u have weeds. weed and feed if you don't feed. that's all they r doing. find a commercial place and just keep at it just like ur pool! :)

all they r doing is using the same fertilizer you can get ur hands on. it's nothing special. just a weed and feed or a feed. if u have weeds. weed and feed if you don't feed. that's all they r doing. find a commercial place and just keep at it just like ur pool! :)

Problem is I literally have no clue how they do it so cheap. One (1) fertilizer for my entire lawn costs me $300 plus my time to spread it (1.5 acres). They do 2-3 different products each time they come, 7 visits per season, for $1500. I can't do it cheaper myself. Also I have never been able to get rid of clover and they do.

I’m maintaining an acre and it costs me less than $80 each time. If I add in the other items needed I might be out a total of about $500 for the year. Where do you get your fertilizer from??

cliff I use a 24-3-3. Low last numbers so I don’t run the risk of burning the grass in the heat. It’s high enough for grass around here. I have never teased topsoil. I cut at my lawn mowers highest setting which is 3.5 on my Honda.

Oh oh another thing to prevent disease and weeds. Just like our pools. Maintain hem urself. When u have a company that comes in to cut they don’t clean their machines between cuts so u are getting ever other lawns seeds of weeds and such into urs then. Just like when u take a boat out of the water. Clean it off so u don’t cross contaminate another body of water.

Plus that middle number is phosphorus. Prevents you from driving your phosphates up and having to use PhosFree (sarcasm)

Problem is I literally have no clue how they do it so cheap. One (1) fertilizer for my entire lawn costs me $300 plus my time to spread it (1.5 acres). They do 2-3 different products each time they come, 7 visits per season, for $1500. I can't do it cheaper myself. Also I have never been able to get rid of clover and they do.

They get their products way cheaper because they buy a kajillion tons at a time.

I use Lesco brand 28-3-10. One 50 pound bag covers 15000 so for my acre 3 bags...The local landscaping company let me. Relate an account so I get it for $22 a bag. This is the same stuff the landscapers use plus its way better than the big box store prices. There is an additional savings for being a veteran built into that price!
97304E9A-7D87-4E0B-84BA-790721F6B65A.jpg

I use Lesco brand 28-3-10. One 50 pound bag covers 15000 so for my acre 3 bags...The local landscaping company let me. Relate an account so I get it for $22 a bag. This is the same stuff the landscapers use plus its way better than the big box store prices. There is an additional savings for being a veteran built into that price!
View attachment 84669

There ya go. Same stuff I use cliff. I use the one with iron also. I buy my neighbors bag for 20 a bag. The guy she uses buys exact same bag and charges 120 a treatment. He is deaf not worth 100 dollars for 10 mins of his time.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus that middle number is phosphorus. Prevents you from driving your phosphates up and having to use PhosFree (sarcasm)

They get their products way cheaper because they buy a kajillion tons at a time.

lol. That is pretty funny!

View attachment 84669

I HIGHLY recommend you read the Bermuda Bible. You don't put it down at bag rate. Bermuda goes by pounds of nitrogen Bermuda is a nitrogen addict. There is a whole formula for figuring out how much to apply. Bermuda typically needs a pound of nitrogen a month to maintain a nice lawn. I am trying to thicken and fill in bare spots so I have been laying down over a pound a week of nitrogen and I couldn't be more pleased with how my lawn is looking considering that I knew nothing about Bermuda grass two months ago. Also, you only apply a balanced fert like you have once a year. The rest of the year you apply straight nitrogen. Use a slow release 39-0-0 monthly. You might want to check out the Bermuda calendar. There are two I like...the one in the Bermuda Bible and check out How to with Doc. He has a website and youtube channel.

Thanks for the tip Chris...I considered going straight nitrogen as I had heard it was good for Bermuda grass. My grass has thin areas so how did you handle this? Did you have to bring in topsoil? Any and all tips are appreciated! I will check out the sites you mention...

Thanks for the tip Chris...I considered going straight nitrogen as I had heard it was good for Bermuda grass. My grass has thin areas so how did you handle this? Did you have to bring in topsoil? Any and all tips are appreciated! I will check out the sites you mention...

I am using all fast release, I can only find a 34-0-0 here. Go to a farm store and don't buy name brand you want cheap nitrogen. I weigh mine out using a bucket and a luggage scale for each section of my yard. You have to know the square footage of your yard. Only lay it down when the grass is dry and then immediately water the heck out of it to get it in the ground . It will burn if you don't. I am going heavy every week and I have not had any burn but get ready to mow. We are mowing every other day right now but my lawn is getting so thick and spreading to bare spots so fast.

Just remember you only need to hit it hard and heavy until you get the lawn into shape, this is not a long term thing. You would go back to a pound of slow release a month with a balanced fert either as your first or last fert of the year. You will see actually see the grass growing and getting greener each day hitting it hard. Bermuda grows the best when it is short. I am mowing at two inches right now because my yard is so unlevel I get too much scalping. Next year I am going to do some leveling and try to keep it at 1 1/2 inches. Also, don't bag unless you have a lot of thatch. Those clippings are nitrogen and bermuda will eat it like candy and look for more.

I have not added any topsoil this year I wanted to see what I could do with the lawn this year since I got a late start. Next year I will address those issues. Bermuda is pretty hard to kill and will spread fast given the right conditions.

Again, check out Doc and read the Bermuda Bible and you will be hooked on lawn care.

https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1651

Thanks for the link I downloaded the info last night:) You are putting it down weekly?? How much per application (1lb for every 1k sq ft)? My lawn area is right at 36k sq ft so I had been using 3 bags of the Lesco fert which covers 45k. After looking at Bermuda bible it seems I have been calculating wrong. My biggest issue is this thick black clay under the sod! I have been using sulfur twice a year And there has been some improvement just slow going. I have less thin areas but the overall green of the lawn is just not there yet.

I have read that Bermuda does well at low cutting height but I have not had the nerve to cut mine down to 2 inches. My mower is set at 3 1/2 during the cutting season and just before going dormant I go down to 2 1/2 followed by the first two cuts of the season at 2 1/2. From what I have read it seems to be encouraged to cut at higher grass height during the heat of summer.

Bottom line is I’m determined to get this lawn healthy!! THANKS...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the link I downloaded the info last night:) You are putting it down weekly?? How much per application (1lb for every 1k sq ft)? My lawn area is right at 36k sq ft so I had been using 3 bags of the Lesco fert which covers 45k. After looking at Bermuda bible it seems I have been calculating wrong. My biggest issue is this thick black clay under the sod! I have been using sulfur twice a year And there has been some improvement just slow going. I have less thin areas but the overall green of the lawn is just not there yet.

I have read that Bermuda does well at low cutting height but I have not had the nerve to cut mine down to 2 inches. My mower is set at 3 1/2 during the cutting season and just before going dormant I go down to 2 1/2 followed by the first two cuts of the season at 2 1/2. From what I have read it seems to be encouraged to cut at higher grass height during the heat of summer.

Bottom line is I’m determined to get this lawn healthy!! THANKS...

Yes, I am doing weekly. I started out with Doc (learned a ton) and danced with the lawn. Then I found the big boys lawn forums and that is when I started hitting it weekly with 1# or so (about five weeks now) and it has really taken off. My yard is only 3,000 sq. ft so I am able to do all this stuff without breaking the bank I have been throwing down Milorganite (on top of the nitrogen) every two weeks at just over bag rate to get organics in and iron for color and that has helped a bunch. Also, when I started hitting it I was using Scott's Max with 6% iron and wow it made a huge difference. So I am going to hit this week with that instead of my 34-0-0 to bring up some more color. You have to be careful with iron though too much and the lawn will turn gray.

If the height works for you then go for it. It is all about how you like it:) Six months from now we will be talking about humics and marker dyes because you will get the bug and want that blue ribbon lawn:):)

Also, don't cut yours down now! do what you are doing. We only have a couple of weeks left and we will be done for the season. September 1st we start winterizing Bermuda, then no more fertilizer or anything to push the lawn until spring here in AR and I am sure you aren't far behind me.

A couple of clarifications...

yes, you go by 1,000 sq. ft and you can start out slower, go with lower amounts more frequently if that makes you more comfortable. Remember you can't kill Bermuda it is a weed:) and it will grow back quickly depending on the time of the year. also, be mindful of the environment, I water my ferts in slow so they can be absorbed and not runoff. Generally it takes a quarter inch to activate the fert so I run my irrigation shorter run times but more of them when I water in anything.

Also, for clay soil and compaction try some baby shampoo. I have done it twice since I found out about it and I have seen enough change that I am going to keep it up for now.

Remember it is not a sprint but a marathon and this fert schedule is not long term. I am also doing things to build up the soil and wanting the lawn to fill and and cover bare areas. A lot of what I am doing this year will pay off next year.

All I can say is that all forums are not created equal. I have been checking out some lawn forums and one in particular is horrible so far....
- sarcastic, rude, totally full of themselves
- ask a question and good luck getting a straight answer
- posted a few questions a week ago and still no responses

Maybe thats the reason for little activity. Such a shame... Oh well TFP is where its at!

All I can say is that all forums are not created equal. I have been checking out some lawn forums and one in particular is horrible so far....
- sarcastic, rude, totally full of themselves
- ask a question and good luck getting a straight answer
- posted a few questions a week ago and still no responses

Maybe thats the reason for little activity. Such a shame... Oh well TFP is where its at!

I suggest https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1651 . They help out and there is some smart people, and friendly.

There are several things you can do for grubs, you can find granular stuff at the big box stores or you can mix several different things into a spray. I personally use Bifentherin. I use the XTS outdoors, and the IT indoors.

Bermuda loves it short, I maintain my lawn <.4 inches. 1lb nitrogen month.

I suggest https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1651 . They help out and there is some smart people, and friendly.

There are several things you can do for grubs, you can find granular stuff at the big box stores or you can mix several different things into a spray. I personally use Bifentherin. I use the XTS outdoors, and the IT indoors.

Bermuda loves it short, I maintain my lawn <.4 inches. 1lb nitrogen month.

Great suggestion I'll have to educate myself more on the wealth of information there. It was all fun and games until I see the pic thread and everyone's immaculate lawns. I suddenly have an urge to buy an expensive mower and make my own putting green :eek:

lawn1.jpg lawn2.jpg lawn3.jpg
lawn4.jpg

How do you apply??

I have a MY4SONS ( https://www.my4sons.biz/ ) sprayer I use.

- - - Updated - - -

Great suggestion I'll have to educate myself more on the wealth of information there. It was all fun and games until I see the pic thread and everyone's immaculate lawns. I suddenly have an urge to buy an expensive mower and make my own putting green :eek:

View attachment 85192 View attachment 85193 View attachment 85194
View attachment 85195

Yep, I have a Jacobsen greens mower, I can't say my lawn looks just like that but it's not far off. It's another hobby like TFP water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.