Looking for a way to de-salt equipment

JumboShrimp

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Hi all
closed my SWG pool yesterday - went pretty smooth but....
ladder and handrail were hard to remove. The Alum pockets in the cement are kinda rough looking (pitted) and the ladder / rail tubes are filled with a white slimy jelly / goo stuff that needs powerwashed out. I think it is salt related but don't know. pool is 2 yrs old and it wasn't there last october at closing?!
any thoughts on what it is, how to prevent it, how to keep the pockets from deteriorating further and how to treat the rest of my stuff to prevent salt damage?

TIA
JS

Thanks for the replys - I'll get it cleaned up and look into the anode for next season. Will def use some caulk. They weren't all that hard to get out... they were just NASTY! At the rate these things are wasting they won't be around long if I don't do 'something'!

spishex...GREAT SIG!!

Thanks again
JS

Last week I was not able to remove my S R Smith handrail even after I unscrewed the bolts, so I decided to leave it over the winter. Today I tried again after reading the postings, I followed the advice by tapping lightly on the bolts, and within 30 seconds my handrail was removed. My handrail is stainless steel coated with vinyl recommended for pool with SWG, the vinyl prevents the stainless steel from contacting the brass socket so "welding" of the 2 metals will not occur. But it was still very difficult to remove without tapping on the bolts, thanks everyone for the advice.

A smear of dielectric grease, similar to what I use on a spark plug to plug wire connection works. A dab on the ladder or rail and a dab in the socket on the wedge bolt. In the fall, a couple of shots of Brake Klean cleans it off.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.