Help - All New Equipment - Goldline Controls w/Intelliflo?

Gitbox

Oct 24, 2009
Hi,
I think I have read every post on this forum and others relating to Goldline Control Systems and Intelliflo pumps in existence, but still have some questions. Any help will be most appreciated.

I have an existing in-ground pool in DFW area of Texas (built 1993) w/about 20k-23k gals. All of the equipment is pretty much dying at the same time from electronic controls to the heater, pump, etc. So, everything is being changed out. It has 2 skimmers w/one 2" return line, 2" main drain return line, 1.5" vac line, a spa w/5 or 6 jets that spills into the pool (12" drop?) and pebble tech surface. Since everything is dying I am planning on purchasing the following equipment, but would be very grateful for any advice/changes that I should be considering:

- Goldline PS8 Controls w/wireless/waterproof remote & receiver (already have)
- Intelliflo pump - 4x160 w/Intellicom2 to control it - hoping it will handle everything - various speeds for different functions? Slower for filtering & salt chlorination, faster for cleaner & spa, etc.
- Sand Filter instead of DE - there are logistical reasons for this as well as health reasons (don't want DE being backwashed into back yard - 5yr old son stomping around & breathing some in during TX summer!) I'm not sure which filter to go with, but have been considering the following w/either silica sand or Zeobrite/lite:
- Sta-Rite System 3 S8S70 (3.4sf) ? or
- Hayward S244T - 3.14 ft.2 - 62 GPM - is there limitation w/1.5" pipes? OR
- Hayward Hayward S270T - 3.70 ft2 - 74 GPM ??
- Hayward H250 nat gas cupro nickle heater (already have)
- Polaris 3900 cleaner (already have) - plan to switch vac line to pressure
- T-15 salt chlorinator w/sensor/switch
- various Jandy neverlube valves & Goldline actuators
- plan to change out pool & spa lights to Colorlogic w/AQL Color MODHV to control them, unless someone tells me I don't need the MODHV?

I have a friend who is a professional pool installer going to do the install. I have spoken with tech support at both Hayward and Pentair about the pump, controls, ect. and am hopeful that this can be a very good solution for this pool. Any and all help, caution, advice will be most appreciated!

Kevin

Kevin, welcome to TFP!!

As long as the 2 separate controllers won't interfere with each other, I see no problems. Sounds like youo'll end up with a very nice system! :-D

Now all you need is a quality test kit to keep your pool trouble free :wink:

If your going the sand route then use the zeobrite it holds more dirt and last longer.. With DE there is a non DE filtering agent on the market that work quite well. Good luck with what ever type of filter you choose.

I would check to see if Hayward and Pentair still offer extended warranties if you purchase all of the equipment or at least 3 items. I am pretty sure Hayward still offers 3 years with at least 3 pieces of equipment. This is fairly important for a variable speed pump where the parts can be quite expensive. Also, I would at least pair the controller with the pump to get the most features.

Don't bother with the Zeobrite. It doesn't do anything for you that you'd notice vs. regular sand. Here's a good thread if you want some info on it.

The intellicom is very expensive for what it does (just allows you to use the intelliflo with another manufacturers automation). Does the math work out for you to use the Goldline Control and TCell + Intellicomm vs. using all Pentair equipment (Easy touch, Intellichlor, Intelliflo)?

Thanks for your replies!

Ted, - I don't THINK there are going to be any conflicts between the Goldline controls and the Intelliflo as long as I use the Intellicom2 to control it. I will be limited to 4 speeds to draw from, but I believe that should be adequate. I learned that from talking with tech support at both Pentair AND Hayward. Still, after reading this, I believe I will have one more conversation with each company just to be sure! :) I believe our test kit is great - my wife is a "chemistry freak" so that has been a great help - since I am NOT! :)

doityourself - I am not familar with a "non DE agent" that does a similar job filtering - can you tell me what it is or a link to more information?

Mark S - thanks for reminding me of the 3yr warranty from Hayward - I will be asking about that with my follow-up call to them. That brings up a good question - are any of the Hayward sand filters considered "REALLY GOOD" or are they "just adequate"? I've been reading elsewhere that some folks do NOT consider Hayward filters to be that high of quality. Any comments? Originally I wanted the Sta-Rite System 3 larger sand filter - should I stick with that or look at some of the Pentairs like Tagleus (sp?) or similar?

spishex - thanks for the link regarding zeolite - I'll read this next. As far as the pump and controls, I looked at the the numbers and unfortunately, it appears that to re-group and sell the Goldline PS8 system and change over to all Pentair would be significantly more $$$$.

Based on what I've been told by both Pentair and Hayward, the pairing of PS8 controlling the intelliflo 4x160 via the Intellicom2 SHOULD work well. I have the intelliflo pump for (I think $825 plus shipping and the intellicom2 for around $150. About $1k for pump is steep, to be sure, but if you saw my electric bills this last summer, you'd understand why I'm a bit motivated to not only replace worn out equipment with better stuff, but to lower electrical costs. Ditto for my HVAC units on this house. ;-)

If there is still somethings I'm missing/should have thought of - I would really appreciate learning from you kind folks who are way ahead of me!

Thanks again,

Kevin

Here is the name of the product I was talking about..
Fiber Clear is a replacement for D.E. (Diatomaceous Earth) in D.E. filters and can be used as a filter aid or enhancer for both cartridge filters and high-rate sand filters. Environmentally friendly, non-toxic, and biodegradable. It filters finer than D.E. and enhances filtration in other filter types by tightening the sand bed and improving cartridge filtration.

I think I'm down to making a final decision on the filter and lights. I guess I will be reading up a bit on filters and the Colorlogics vs Intelibrites.

Thanks to all for your help!

Kevin

spishex said:
Don't bother with the Zeobrite. It doesn't do anything for you that you'd notice vs. regular sand. Here's a good thread if you want some info on it.

The intellicom is very expensive for what it does (just allows you to use the intelliflo with another manufacturers automation). Does the math work out for you to use the Goldline Control and TCell + Intellicomm vs. using all Pentair equipment (Easy touch, Intellichlor, Intelliflo)?

I have the Easytouch/IC40/Intelliflo 4x160 combo and I find it to be a very cost effective solution. I never even need to touch the intelliflo control panel, as all speed adjustments can be made from the easytouch.

If you are really set on the Goldline, why not just buy the Intelliflo VF? The VF has its own timer and can turn itself on and off. Then you don't need the Intellicom at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.