Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Filter lost its Straps, cord, strings around filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Filter lost its Straps, cord, strings around filter?

My Hayward cartridge filter has managed to lose those straps around the filter that hold the pleats in place. I bought the filter aprox 11/07 or its 2 years old. It has no tears and works well. Is it time for a replacement due to the straps missing?
    15k Diamond Brite, Aquarite SWG, 1.5hp StaRite, Hayward Star Clear 17502, AquaCal heat pump, Pentair Great White pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Filter lost its Straps, cord, strings around filter?

The filter is still functional, for now.

I'd pick up a new one ASAP and keep the old one for heavy cleaning (like an algae bloom) or install it temporarily when you need to soak the main cart.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If I remember correctly, when i was at the sta-rite plant, i was told the straps are there primarily to hold the pleats in place while the top and bottom pieces are attached and they begin to dry/cool down during assembly as they shimmy down the assembly line.

Hayward may have a different reason for the straps...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a (actually four that I switch out) cartridge for my stand alone spa. On two of the older cartridges the straps are coming loose. It seems that I saw somewhere, here on TFP, someone used hotglue to bond the straps back to the pleats. Also, I think, but don't quote me on this, the straps serve to keep the pleats separated so to have the optimal amount of filter surface.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

I have hot glued the bands before and they seem to hold up fairly well. However, I also agree with Pool Clown that they probably don't serve much of a purpose and could be just taken off.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not saying that the straps are 100% necessary, but having them will prolong the filter's life expectancy and improve performance Hence the advice to pick up a new cart and save the old one as a backup
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I figured the straps just keep the pleats open and lined up for max filtration. I would replace it and save it as a backup as "waste" suggested but I have a backup no name filter for just that. Three filters would be a bit much. Thanks guys / gals.
    15k Diamond Brite, Aquarite SWG, 1.5hp StaRite, Hayward Star Clear 17502, AquaCal heat pump, Pentair Great White pool cleaner