CYA mixing bottle

Jul 15, 2007
Florida
According to this link, the CYA mixing bottle is filled with 7mL pool water, and then another 7mL of R-0013:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

But in the TFPkit, the sticker label on the mixing bottle uses much larger liquid amounts. Using one of the measuring cylinders, the bottom line is measuring about 15mL, and the top line is about 30mL.

Seems following Taylor's instructions can save a lot on R-0013 use. Am I misreading something here? Is the sticker on my mixing bottle just misplaced?

Edit: The comparator tube in the TFPkit is also marked "Taylor" so I assume it's the same tube included in the K-2006 kit.

I've long suspected that since the dillution is 1:1 reagent to pool water, one could take their black dot tube, fill it with water, which is the max it will read anyway, measure the volume, then whatever it is, divide by two and that's the max reagent you should ever have to use.

There are a few comparators tubes/cylinders used in the Taylor line:

- Using the 2000-series comparator block you would use 7 ml water and 7 ml R-0013, if I remember the range is 30 to 100 ppm (I don't have one in front of me just now);

- Using a 9197 cylinder (as in the K-1721) you would use 7 ml water and 7 ml R-0013, the range is 30 to 100 ppm;

- Using a 9193 cylinder (as in the K-1720) you would use 15 ml water and 15 ml R-0013, the range is 20 to 100 ppm;

- Using a 4088 plunger-type cylinder, well, I measured 18 ml water and 20 ml R-0013, the range is 20 to 100 ppm.

I think the bigger sample volumes just give you a higher resolution but I may be wrong. The cylinders may be graduated to that effect. The precision (or lack thereof) is part of the methodology they use.

Right. The easy way to tell is if the cylinder reads down to 20 then you need the larger sample size. If it only reads to 30 then you can use the smaller sample (assuming everything is from Taylor). The scales are compatible on the 9197 cylinder and the 9193 cylinder and they use the same reagent, so there is some value in having both. You can use the smaller one when you know the CYA is above 30 and save on the reagent.

If you have the TF Test Kit and want the smaller cylinder, the WalMart HTH 6 way test kit, under $20, comes with the smaller Taylor cylinder and a corresponding mixing bottle. That is cheaper than you can usually find the Taylor K-1721, and some of the other stuff in there can be useful as well if you do a lot of testing.

Jason's got it pretty well covered. I intentionally chose the #9193 view tube and corresponding mixing bottle solely for the purpose of being able to read down to 20ppm. As a side benefit, it may well give you somewhat more accuracy since the sample is double in volume.....I'm not sure about that.

My goal in the TFP kit was to make it as accurate as possible within the price range that I felt most folks could commit to. It seemed to me the #9193 kit filled that purpose. Like Jason said, if you know your CYA will register more than 40 or so, you can easily make a smaller mix of poolwater and reagent and the test will be accurate. However, I would like to send my 4 kids to Harvard based on the refill business and that technique won't help me a Dang bit!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS - I have only two kids and we'll be perfectly content if they end up in a 2nd rate school.....say, like UNC (sorry for the inside joke...I just love to needle the Tarheels when I get a chance.....UhOh, here's comes the NC State jokes) :roll: :roll:

Thanks guys for clearing things up.

Ok, just to be absolutely sure, the 9193 and 9197 comparators both have the same scales imprinted on them? Looking at pictures on Taylor's website, they both look the same size, except the 9197 is simply cut shorter.

So if I know my CYA levels are high, I can use the smaller 7mL sample/reagent sizes.

The 9197 is not only shorter but narrower in diameter. Therefore 22ml fills it to the top (or 30ppm) mark. The 9193 is taller and wider and requires 30ml to fill it to the top (20ppm).

You can mix as little reagent and pool water as needed.....just enough so your dot disappears. It will always take less to disappear the dot in the smaller (9197) view tube.

If you knew your CYA was 100+, you could probably get by with as little as 4ml of reagent but, then how would my kids get to college?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.