Filtering Small Debri

Jul 1, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Problem: SWG is alarming after 10-15 minutes of pump running as small leaves and debri is clogging the small filter screen leading to the salt cell. I can clean the debri away, restart and things run good for the 10-15 minutes and then same thing over again.

I believe this means that the small pieces are getting through the skimmer basket, the pump basket, past the DE Filter and then to the filter screen before the cell. I have cleaned the DE blades and replaced the handle assembly to switch between normal flow and backwash (not sure what that piece is called) so I have new O-rings, etc in place in/out of the DE filter. I also replaced the top plastic piece that the filter blades connect to within the DE Filter (it's a hayward DE-6000)

any suggestions other than putting finer screens in place at the skimmer basket, etc.? Anything else within the DE filter itself to check for?
thanks,
sean

Dave, I'm a beginner, so please excuse my ignorance of not knowing exactly what multi-port valve you are referring to.
Can you provide more about what valve you are asking about? If it's the valve to switch between normal flow and backwash, I'm doing the normal unlock and move to switch between the two. More data please, and thanks again...

I picture of your equipment would help. Somehow debris is bypassing your filter. It may be that the grid assembly is not properly seated or has a hole in it, or it could be an issue in the plumbing before the filter such as your backwash valve.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend. The backwash valve (Hayward 2" slide backwash valve) is what I recently replaced thinking that the O-rings may have been worn. The filter blades are relatively new and I've cleaned them recently and didn't see any holes. I can double-check the filter grid fitment but everything assembled together with ease and I didn't have to force anything into place. thanks,

Welcome to TFP!!

Are you adding DE to the filter after you backwash or manually clean the grids?

You might want to look into "skimmer socks" to prefilter the water, this won't do any good for a main drain line or dedicated vac line :( , however, might be a decent tool until we can figure out why debris is bypassing the filter :)

Once we get a full idea of your pool and filter set up, we'll be chiming in with the possible causes and fixes for your problem :goodjob:

Thanks everyone for the feedack. I'm trying to post a few pics as well.

I did replace the top plastic housing piece that the grid blades connect to, so there's a new air bleed 'thingy' at the top with the small sock looking screen on it.

Next step will probably be to take the DE filter apart, clean, re-install, and add DE just to get a fresh clean start again.

Let's see if I can get a couple of pics up and working.
thanks again,
sean

pics here:
http://gallery.me.com/sean.joplin#10004 ... &view=grid

lions den said:
I can double-check the filter grid fitment but everything assembled together with ease and I didn't have to force anything into place. thanks,

When I disassemble my filter grids/manifold I have to sea/saw the top manifold, tightening the bolts (on the two long metal rods that hold the assembly together) several times to make sure all the grids are firmly set into the manifold. This usually takes about 15 minutes to make sure the grids are firmly into the manifold. It doesn't go back together "easily" especially if I've put in some new grids that have more resistances to going into the holes in the manifold. That could possibly be your issue.

gg=alice

The top manifold fits onto a stand pipe that takes the filtered water back to the filter's return port. That stand pipe has an O-Ring that seals it. Sometimes they get stretched and leak or tear off. Are you sure it isn't this?

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.