Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filtering Small Debri

1. Back To Top    #1

Filtering Small Debri

Problem: SWG is alarming after 10-15 minutes of pump running as small leaves and debri is clogging the small filter screen leading to the salt cell. I can clean the debri away, restart and things run good for the 10-15 minutes and then same thing over again.

I believe this means that the small pieces are getting through the skimmer basket, the pump basket, past the DE Filter and then to the filter screen before the cell. I have cleaned the DE blades and replaced the handle assembly to switch between normal flow and backwash (not sure what that piece is called) so I have new O-rings, etc in place in/out of the DE filter. I also replaced the top plastic piece that the filter blades connect to within the DE Filter (it's a hayward DE-6000)

any suggestions other than putting finer screens in place at the skimmer basket, etc.? Anything else within the DE filter itself to check for?
    thanks,
    sean
    16,000 Gallon; Auto Pilot Digital Control SC-48 SWG, IG Pebble-Tec, DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Filtering Small Debri

That should never happen....finer screening is not the issue.

What setting is your multi-port valve set to?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dave, I'm a beginner, so please excuse my ignorance of not knowing exactly what multi-port valve you are referring to.
    Can you provide more about what valve you are asking about? If it's the valve to switch between normal flow and backwash, I'm doing the normal unlock and move to switch between the two. More data please, and thanks again...

4. Back To Top    #4

I picture of your equipment would help. Somehow debris is bypassing your filter. It may be that the grid assembly is not properly seated or has a hole in it, or it could be an issue in the plumbing before the filter such as your backwash valve.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll try to get some pics this weekend. The backwash valve (Hayward 2" slide backwash valve) is what I recently replaced thinking that the O-rings may have been worn. The filter blades are relatively new and I've cleaned them recently and didn't see any holes. I can double-check the filter grid fitment but everything assembled together with ease and I didn't have to force anything into place. thanks,

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!

Are you adding DE to the filter after you backwash or manually clean the grids?

You might want to look into "skimmer socks" to prefilter the water, this won't do any good for a main drain line or dedicated vac line , however, might be a decent tool until we can figure out why debris is bypassing the filter

Once we get a full idea of your pool and filter set up, we'll be chiming in with the possible causes and fixes for your problem
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by lions den
    I also replaced the top plastic piece that the filter blades connect to within the DE Filter (it's a hayward DE-6000)
    Is the internal tank air bleed with the screen still intact? it may look like a (maybe short maybe long) straw with a screen type of fitting on the end.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone for the feedack. I'm trying to post a few pics as well.

I did replace the top plastic housing piece that the grid blades connect to, so there's a new air bleed 'thingy' at the top with the small sock looking screen on it.

Next step will probably be to take the DE filter apart, clean, re-install, and add DE just to get a fresh clean start again.

Let's see if I can get a couple of pics up and working.
    thanks again,
    sean

pics here:
    http://gallery.me.com/sean.joplin#10004 ... &view=grid

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by lions den
    I can double-check the filter grid fitment but everything assembled together with ease and I didn't have to force anything into place. thanks,
    When I disassemble my filter grids/manifold I have to sea/saw the top manifold, tightening the bolts (on the two long metal rods that hold the assembly together) several times to make sure all the grids are firmly set into the manifold. This usually takes about 15 minutes to make sure the grids are firmly into the manifold. It doesn't go back together "easily" especially if I've put in some new grids that have more resistances to going into the holes in the manifold. That could possibly be your issue.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

10. Back To Top    #10

The top manifold fits onto a stand pipe that takes the filtered water back to the filter's return port. That stand pipe has an O-Ring that seals it. Sometimes they get stretched and leak or tear off. Are you sure it isn't this?

Scott
    PoolGuyNJ
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.