liner track sources

I need to replace the liner track on my in-ground pool and am not finding much in the way of on-line suppliers. Since I'm replacing the coping, a top mount track is my expectation.

Also, does anyone have opinions on whether aluminum track or plastic track is the way to go. The existing track is 25 year old plastic and is a bit brittle. I'd expect another 25 years out of new track and I reckon thats a good enough life so aluminum might not be worth the expense. I do have a slat pool, so maybe avoidingthe aluminum is best anyway.

First off go with aluminum. Plastic should not even be considered unless you want to do this whole process again someday. When we replace a liner and the track of the coping is damaged we typically install aluminum track below the current bead receptor of the coping or we chip off the old track and install it in place. Regardless we use stainless steel self tapping screws to mount the new track to the pool wall don't be stingy on the screws as they are under a lot of pressure 6" apart should be good. Put a strip of duct tape over the screws to protect the liner and incase the screw heads break off they stay in place instead of rolling down the pool wall.

X-PertPool said:
First off go with aluminum. Plastic should not even be considered unless you want to do this whole process again someday. When we replace a liner and the track of the coping is damaged we typically install aluminum track below the current bead receptor of the coping or we chip off the old track and install it in place. Regardless we use stainless steel self tapping screws to mount the new track to the pool wall don't be stingy on the screws as they are under a lot of pressure 6" apart should be good. Put a strip of duct tape over the screws to protect the liner and incase the screw heads break off they stay in place instead of rolling down the pool wall.

Thanks for the info. Follow-up questions...

1) Do you have a good source for us DIYers?
2) Would you still recommend aluminum for a salt pool?
3) The pool wall is concrete block. Do you have a recommended fastener? I might be raising the wall a couple of inches with poured concrete, so instead of concrete block, I'll be installing on top of concrete.

The original horizontal plastic track was nailed with concrete nails about every 12". The replacement vertical plastic track, I have no idea about until I pull the existing liner this weekend. Draining the pool as I type...Takes a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.