Closing IG Pool. Critique my plan.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I am new so please bare with...

On the 30th, I am having the pool company coming to help me close, but I want to make sure "we" do everything right. I am going to drop water level to 4" below returns and make sure water chemistry is good. Then i will blow out lines. Not sure if they will have me use antifreeze or not?

Can someone look at my system and give advice on how to close this properly? Also do i need to backwash the filter before closing? How do i know that there is NO water left in filter? Thanks.

CLICK FOR PICTURE: http://yfrog.com/6lpoolsystem1j

Thinkly said:

Well, I like to think I'm not just anyone... but, will I do? :lol:

A couple things to consider - cover type, will water pass through it to refill the pool over the winter? and ground water/ yard drainage - you certainly don't want to float the pool out of the ground by lowering too much water. Please get back to me on these at your earliest convenience :bowdown: :wink:

To be quite honest, I can't figure out why all the pipes to and from the pool have 'tees' (I assume it's some idiotic way to winterize :roll: :hammer: ). Anywho, break apart all the unions and take as much of the equipment inside for the winter, with ALL water drained!. The pump looks to be hard wired :evil: so, unless you're comfortable with dewiring and rewiring the pump, cover it and leave it out but pull the 2 winterizing plugs on the pump housing! Open the filter, pull the grids out and use a hose to clean the grids (info on this is available). The drain plug for the filter is on the bottom of the tank directly below the multiport bulkheads. Cover any open pipes at the pad with plastic and duct tape or use a rubber plug to prevent moisture and critters from entering the lines.

I hope I've been ~ fairly clear, if not - all you need do is ask for clarification :)

Good luck with the project!

Thanks for the great reply. I too am curios if they are going to use the t-valves to winterize. I will find out next week. One application for them that i can tell you is that i can balance the suction between main drains and skimmer.

When i vacuum via skimmer, i reduce MD suction to increase skimmer suction for example. I also have one of those t-valves on the water slide which controls water flow on the slide.

Ah... a slight misunderstanding :eek:

You are talking about the valves on the lines, with the red handles - those are a very good part of the plumbing!

I was talking about the fact that they used 'tees' instead of '90s' to get the water in and out of the filter system (the pipes coming up out of the concrete pad into the pump make a 'goalpost' and look to have plugs screwed into them) I just don't understand why they used those fittings instead of 90s :? (yes, there's also one on the, 1 :shock: , return line)

In the long run, it simply doesn't matter :cool: , what does matter is that you have a usable pool that can be properly winterized :cool:

Please let us know about what they do when the pool gets closed :cheers:

I am following you now. I guess i didn't notice that till now. I bet you are right. I can invision them hooking something up to each of those to blow and then perhaps even to cap each of those lines. After all i have three big plugs left here so...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.