Brand new member getting started

Hi everyone. I cannot tell you how much knowledge you all contribute to this forum. I have been reading it for a while and finally decided to register. Of course, I have a question (or two) regarding my own setup for which I am hoping to get some insight from all of you.

I have an Aqua Rite SWG and lately the "Generating" light has not been lit under any % setting. The routine "Inspect Cell" light comes on and I do so. I even gave the cell a mild acid/water bath per the manufacturer's recommendations. When I switch the control to "super-chlorinate" and then back to normal function the "Generating" light comes on for a bit, then goes off again. Does this sound like a faulty cell? It is approximately 3 years old and I am willing to replace it, if in fact it is not working based on my description.

This leads me to my next question. I have been adding 6% Bleach to keep the FC up and have not had any problems with algae. Is bleach okay to add with a SWG as a make up chlorine method or does this damage the cell?

Since I started reading discussions in these forums, I have been able to keep my pool relatively sanitary and clean looking. But if the SWG is not contributing to my efforts, I would sure like to know.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

peloncito said:
I have an Aqua Rite SWG and lately the "Generating" light has not been lit under any % setting. The routine "Inspect Cell" light comes on and I do so. When I switch the control to "super-chlorinate" and then back to normal function the "Generating" light comes on for a bit, then goes off again. Does this sound like a faulty cell?

Is bleach okay to add with a SWG as a make up chlorine method or does this damage the cell?
f the SWG is not contributing to my efforts, I would sure like to know.
Hello, Mike Welcome to TFP :-D

It's normal for the cell to cycle off and on but from your description it sounds like you're not sure if it's coming back on. I have the same SWG (Aqua T-Cell-15) connected to Aqua Logic PS-8 controller, so to determine whether the cell is currently operating I select the Diagnostic menu to check the cell operation. It displays water temperature, "instant" salt ppm and real-time voltage & amps. Liquid chlorine or bleach should not cause any damage to the cell. In troubleshooting, check the following.

• a. pump is on
    b. water is flowing
    c. check system light off
    d. % chlorination set to > 0 (to test, set to 100%)
    e. water temperature > 50° F.
    f. salt 2700 ppm to 3400 ppm (test with salt test strip or drop test if there's any doubt)
    g. voltage display shows roughly 23.45V
    h. amps (if off, will display 0.00A)
    [list:1mscwa79]Will also show 0.00 when cell is just in its "off" cycle but still operational
[/list:u:1mscwa79]

Recommend setting to 90% or higher then closely monitor amps. If variables outlined above are in line, it should be generating almost all of the time... If not, you may have a bad circuit controller board or a bad cell.

Hi, Mike,

Posting to welcome you to the forum :lol: .....I can't help with the SWG but looks like polyvue has you covered.

For reinforcement, I can assure you that manually adding as much chlorine as you want will have no adverse affect on your SWG.

Also check the easy stuff...

- Be sure all your connections are solid, esp. the plug that plugs upward into the control box.

- Are you clearing the "Inspect Cell" indicator light after you inspect the cell? Instructions for doing so are in the owner's manual. Although I have the same system, I'm not an "expert" but I thought I remembered reading that if you allow the "Inspect Cell" light to progress from flashing to steady on (without clearing it), the cell stops generating.

Welcome to TFP!!

Has your chlorine been dropping to ~0? Sometimes there is a short in the wire and the light doesn't come on even though the unit is producing.

There is a way to check if the cell is generating, it's a bit complicated so I'll wait for your response before launching into it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.