Hayward SwimPure Plus Control Box hum

Dec 9, 2008
Recently I've been hearing a very low hum in the master bathroom and closet. Couldn't figure out what it was. I tripped the GFCI in the master bath and the hum stopped. Immediately it dawned on me that a) the Hayward SwimPure Plus is on that FGCI circuit (it is the outlet by my sink and also feeds the outside outlet on the side of the house) and b) the master bath and closet share the same wall that the control box for the Hayward SwimPure Plus control box is mounted to.

Opened the outside door from the bathroom (courtyard house) and had my wfe reset the GFCI. Thyng - Thung - hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm I heard.

Opened the control panel cover and saw the standard Green power LED at the top as well as the red "No Flow" led as the pump was not running. It was pretty clearly coming from the control panel. If I put my hand on the front of the device it lessened the hum somehwta but it was still there.

Is something wrong with it? It normally stays plugged in and powered on at all times. (The inline flow switch controls whether it generates chlorine or not.) I reread the manual and don't see anythng adressing a hum, and it looks to be wired correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Most likely it's the transformer humming. A very common occurrence. You can try tightening all the bolts and screws down sometimes they'll loosen during heat/cool cycles. Don't forget to tighten the bolts/screws holding the box too.

I have the same problem with the light transformer, but it only does that when the lights are on. And I had a bigger hum from connecting the pipes to and from the solar to the exterior wall of the house right by the master bedroom.

If tightening the screws does not help, then I suggest some rubber insulators to isolate the box from the house. You'll want some type of rubber grommet to go into the holes in the box so that the screws do not touch the box, nor does the box touch the house.

Good...you all are making me feel better. I just don't recall it humming this loud in the past. I will try tightening the screws, then get some isolators if that doesn't do it.
Thanks!

PS. Sorry about all the misspellings in the original post. I was on a new tiny netbook (small keyboard), no lights (posting just before going to bed) and just couldn't see well. Could have checked the spelling before posting but didn't. Sorry!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.