What do you do with completed tests

autoxer said:
Just curious what everyone does with their completed tests - I mean, these reagents have all kinds of hazard warnings and so on, so how do you dispose of yours?
Interesting question. I don't have a technical response to it, but I can tell you what I do. I flush the contents of the titrant/reagent down the drain with cold water and then place the plastic bottle in the recycling bin. I wouldn't do this if I had voluminous quantities left over (say, more than 100 mL) but tap water will dilute anything I've seen in a residential test kit.

Treatment chemicals are another matter. I toss old liquid chlorine into the pool. Haven't needed to toss anything else -- but if I did I'd probably take to hazardous waste station.

I think the quantities of test chemicals are small enough that they won't be a practical problem if you dump them down the sink. They're not THAT hazardous.

There's a brown patch of grass that my wife blames on me dumping test chemicals, which I'm not inclined to believe but not willing to argue about, either.
--paulr

I agree, Paul, but I found a somewhat different solution, pun intended. My wife is also dubious about my dumping the "chemicals" in the yard.

My wife complains that my beloved dog Spot always pees in the same place by the back steps and says that it's killed the grass in a 6-inch diameter circle. This is true.

About once a month or so the container that I put the used reagents (and the rinse water) into is surreptitously dumped on to the same "spot".

So until I get caught I don't have to worry about being accused of killing the grass.

Get a dog, train her carefully, and there won't be anything to argue about!

True story, but just for fun ... Cheers, Gary

PaulR said:
I think the quantities of test chemicals are small enough that they won't be a practical problem if you dump them down the sink. They're not THAT hazardous.

There's a brown patch of grass that my wife blames on me dumping test chemicals, which I'm not inclined to believe but not willing to argue about, either.
--paulr

I do my testing in the field (i.e. poolside/ not at my house)

I carry a ~2Qt, container and dump the tested samples into it. After I'm done with all the tests, I dip the container into the pool, to further dilute the sampled water (without letting the mix I've made enter the pool :hammer: ) and dump that dilute mix at the edge of the lawn - i.e. at the treeline or in a drianline.

The amount of chemicals in there isn't large and would probably be fine to dump almost anywhere, but I'm just cautious like that :wink:

Of course Gary has a better/ safer place for that 'waste' water (Hi Gary :wave: :mrgreen: )

gtm said:
My wife complains that my beloved dog Spot always pees in the same place by the back steps and says that it's killed the grass in a 6-inch diameter circle. This is true.

About once a month or so the container that I put the used reagents (and the rinse water) into is surreptitously dumped on to the same "spot".
Best use of the word surreptitiously I've seen in a long, long time.

Now, Gary, what's your wife's name and cell phone number... I'd like to have her take on this! heh heh :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
polyvue said:
Now, Gary, what's your wife's name and cell phone number...
The area code is 666, but I don't remember the rest.

And before you all start in on me, that was a JOKE! No way you're getting the real number.

P.S. Love that avatar, polyvue. I have a woefully neglected Celestron that pre-dates Hubble by way too many years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.