Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do you do with completed tests

1. Back To Top    #1

What do you do with completed tests

Just curious what everyone does with their completed tests - I mean, these reagents have all kinds of hazard warnings and so on, so how do you dispose of yours?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    22.5k gal. (est.) IG Dark Plaster Pool (2007)
    Jandy Stealth SHPM 2.0HP Pump ~100gpm
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris 9300 Bot/Cleaner
    Jandy AE-Ti AE2000T Heat Pump
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do you do with completed tests

Quote Originally Posted by autoxer
    Just curious what everyone does with their completed tests - I mean, these reagents have all kinds of hazard warnings and so on, so how do you dispose of yours?
    Interesting question. I don't have a technical response to it, but I can tell you what I do. I flush the contents of the titrant/reagent down the drain with cold water and then place the plastic bottle in the recycling bin. I wouldn't do this if I had voluminous quantities left over (say, more than 100 mL) but tap water will dilute anything I've seen in a residential test kit.

Treatment chemicals are another matter. I toss old liquid chlorine into the pool. Haven't needed to toss anything else -- but if I did I'd probably take to hazardous waste station.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the quantities of test chemicals are small enough that they won't be a practical problem if you dump them down the sink. They're not THAT hazardous.

There's a brown patch of grass that my wife blames on me dumping test chemicals, which I'm not inclined to believe but not willing to argue about, either.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

I rinse my test vessel with water and pour it down the sink. Never gave it a second's thought .
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I rinse my test vessel with water and pour it down the sink. Never gave it a second's thought.
    Me, too!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree, Paul, but I found a somewhat different solution, pun intended. My wife is also dubious about my dumping the "chemicals" in the yard.

My wife complains that my beloved dog Spot always pees in the same place by the back steps and says that it's killed the grass in a 6-inch diameter circle. This is true.

About once a month or so the container that I put the used reagents (and the rinse water) into is surreptitously dumped on to the same "spot".

So until I get caught I don't have to worry about being accused of killing the grass.

Get a dog, train her carefully, and there won't be anything to argue about!

True story, but just for fun ... Cheers, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    I think the quantities of test chemicals are small enough that they won't be a practical problem if you dump them down the sink. They're not THAT hazardous.

There's a brown patch of grass that my wife blames on me dumping test chemicals, which I'm not inclined to believe but not willing to argue about, either.
    --paulr
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

7. Back To Top    #7

I do my testing in the field (i.e. poolside/ not at my house)

I carry a ~2Qt, container and dump the tested samples into it. After I'm done with all the tests, I dip the container into the pool, to further dilute the sampled water (without letting the mix I've made enter the pool ) and dump that dilute mix at the edge of the lawn - i.e. at the treeline or in a drianline.

The amount of chemicals in there isn't large and would probably be fine to dump almost anywhere, but I'm just cautious like that

Of course Gary has a better/ safer place for that 'waste' water (Hi Gary )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I usually dump it back into the pool. Or I drink it (just kidding )

BTW

Most of the time I'm just doing a OTO and PH test.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    (Hi Gary )
    Hey Ted. I'm still here, just listening more than talking during the season. So much to read! Sorry for the semi-hijack ...
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by gtm
    My wife complains that my beloved dog Spot always pees in the same place by the back steps and says that it's killed the grass in a 6-inch diameter circle. This is true.

About once a month or so the container that I put the used reagents (and the rinse water) into is surreptitously dumped on to the same "spot".
    Best use of the word surreptitiously I've seen in a long, long time.

Now, Gary, what's your wife's name and cell phone number... I'd like to have her take on this! heh heh
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    Now, Gary, what's your wife's name and cell phone number...
    The area code is 666, but I don't remember the rest.

And before you all start in on me, that was a JOKE! No way you're getting the real number.

P.S. Love that avatar, polyvue. I have a woefully neglected Celestron that pre-dates Hubble by way too many years.