Thinking of buying an SWG

fortmyersmark said:
I've found out how much salt I'll need to start for the particular SWG I'm looking at, but I wonder how much salt is used for maintanence after it's set up.
For my 14K gal. plaster pool, my average annual purchase of salt is 6 40# bags (240 lbs.) However, the pool is partially drained & refilled twice a year, each time about 15%. So, a little more than 1/3 of that salt goes to waste. The other variable is splash-out.

Unless you have a leak in your pool, I would guess that you're going to use 100 - 150 lbs for the year....but then again, it would depend on backwashing frequency (which you won't need to do with a cartridge filter), bathing suit drag out, and splash out. Oh, and leaks, and rain water overflow/draining will also lose water and salt.
You're not going to loose salt in the process of generating chlorine. Evaporation does not lose salt.

Finally, depending on the recommended salt level for the unit you're interested in, you may need to add alot more than 100 - 150 lbs/yr. Some imported salt chlorine generators need 4000 - 6000 ppm of salt to operate properly. For those, you will need proportionally more salt.

Unless you do some serious draining and refilling it will be maybe $20.00 worth per year at most.

I think my SWG is the greatest thing since .... they started selling whole loaves of real, unsliced bread at my local supermarket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.