Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking of buying an SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking of buying an SWG

I've found out how much salt I'll need to start for the particular SWG I'm looking at, but I wonder how much salt is used for maintanence after it's set up.
    Above ground, 24 foot round, vinyl liner 13,500 gals.
    1 HP, 75 GPM, Cartridge filter, Kon-Tiki sucker thingy
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thinking of buying an SWG

Quote Originally Posted by fortmyersmark
    I've found out how much salt I'll need to start for the particular SWG I'm looking at, but I wonder how much salt is used for maintanence after it's set up.
    For my 14K gal. plaster pool, my average annual purchase of salt is 6 40# bags (240 lbs.) However, the pool is partially drained & refilled twice a year, each time about 15%. So, a little more than 1/3 of that salt goes to waste. The other variable is splash-out.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Unless you have a leak in your pool, I would guess that you're going to use 100 - 150 lbs for the year....but then again, it would depend on backwashing frequency (which you won't need to do with a cartridge filter), bathing suit drag out, and splash out. Oh, and leaks, and rain water overflow/draining will also lose water and salt.
    You're not going to loose salt in the process of generating chlorine. Evaporation does not lose salt.

Finally, depending on the recommended salt level for the unit you're interested in, you may need to add alot more than 100 - 150 lbs/yr. Some imported salt chlorine generators need 4000 - 6000 ppm of salt to operate properly. For those, you will need proportionally more salt.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4

and some need as little as 500, so you will never need to add any...

5. Back To Top    #5

Unless you do some serious draining and refilling it will be maybe $20.00 worth per year at most.

I think my SWG is the greatest thing since .... they started selling whole loaves of real, unsliced bread at my local supermarket.
    "Whatever happened to the guy who drained his whole pool?"
    27,000 gal plaster in-ground
    Compupool 40k SWG from eBay - works great!
    Polaris 380
    Hayward DE
    1.4 HP Hayward Northstar pump
    Two FAFCO Solar Bear panels now heating the pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

He's in a rainy region of the country, so he'll get his fair share of fresh water added to the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

I live in Tampabay, FL. I buy maybe two sacks of salt per year for a 7,500 gal pool.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.